Windows Authentication with Active Directory/External Users RRS feed

• Question

• User320910944 posted

Can an MVC 5 website that will have external partners in another domain use Windows authentication with Active Directory?

I am new to ASP.net and reading that windows authentication with active directory, especially integrated windows, is more for intranet applications where users are in the same domain.  My plan is to not use Forms authentication.

Any insight on this topic would be helpful as we are required to use windows authentication with active directory.

Regards

Friday, August 5, 2016 1:34 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

I'd like to suggest you to use Forms authentication with Active Directory in multiple domains.

Can I use windows authentication with active directory when some of the users of the site are external partners.

For this issue, I don't have much experience. If you cannot determine your answer here or on your own, consider opening a support case with us. Visit this link to see the various support options that are available to better meet your needs:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:42 AM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

To use asp.net mvc windows authentication with active directory multiple domains, this discussion might help you:

asp.net MVC windows authentication to another domain

Regards,

Angie

Monday, August 8, 2016 11:09 AM
  • User320910944 posted

Thank you.   This reply speaks to a website site deployed in a domain that is different than where Active Directory resides.

This will be a public facing website.  To clarify it is the user of the website that will be in a different domain than the website and not behind the firewall.

Can I use windows authentication with active directory when some of the users of the site are external partners. I am assuming we would need to give them an

active directory account.   The external partner wants to avoid having to access the site via Citrix; which would be put them behind the firewall if I understand.

Regards,

Monday, August 8, 2016 1:05 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

I'd like to suggest you to use Forms authentication with Active Directory in multiple domains.

Can I use windows authentication with active directory when some of the users of the site are external partners.

For this issue, I don't have much experience. If you cannot determine your answer here or on your own, consider opening a support case with us. Visit this link to see the various support options that are available to better meet your needs:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:42 AM
  • User320910944 posted

Thank you, our enterprise standards require our application to use Windows Authentication. From what I have read that Windows Authentication is for intranet sites and not public internet sites.  There will only be one domain as users will have an active directory account but may be outside our Firewall. I am using MVC and Razor and hoping to authorize by action.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 11:55 AM