none
Access 2013, web app, how to display Name of the employee in combo box, but to save person's ID in table in back-end? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I my Access 2013 web app, I have two tables. One is Employees and another one is TimeSheet. Table Employees contains following columns/records

E_ID   |   Name

1        Jack Nicholson

2        Robert De Niro

TimeSheet table contains columns: E_ID, Date, Time.

I have created new web form based on TimeSheet table and my goal is that user can choose list of Employees from Combo box, and after user had selected employee, he goes to Save button. In that moment, value from Combo box should be saved in TimeSheet table BUT that should be E_ID of employee, NOT the Name of the employee.

For example, if user chooses Jack Nicholson, then in E_ID column of Timesheet table, value '1' should be stored.

Many thanks in advance.

With kind regards.
    Adi

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I have just find similar question via google as mine. Please see bellow

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27681269/access-2013-web-app-multi-value-lookup

I am not even sure will it work this way but I will give it try right away. If anyone has some other idea or suggesstion, any help is appreciated.

With kind regards.
    Adi

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:07 PM
  • Hi Adi,

>> how to display Name of the employee in combo box, but to save person's ID in table in back-end?

For your requirement, you could follow the steps below:

1. Drop a Combobox to List View
    2. Set the Properties of Combobox as picture below:

# Add a combo box to a view in an Access app
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-a-combo-box-to-a-view-in-an-Access-app-71b06543-5a69-4685-ac3b-2684e8c9c776

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:07 AM
  • Hi Edward,

I have tried that many times but I always end up with saving Name of employee instead of E_ID and that is the main issue.

However, in meantime I have found one interesting topic which describes similar issue

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27681269/access-2013-web-app-multi-value-lookup

Right now, I am struggling to figure out how to solve it using Data macro;( Again, any help is appreciated.

With kind regards.
    Adi

Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:19 AM
  • Hi Adi,

>> I have tried that many times but I always end up with saving Name of employee instead of E_ID and that is the main issue.

Before you test this in IE, have you save your Access 2013 web app? It would be helpful if you could share us a screen shot about properties of List View like above image and the result view in IE.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:49 AM