none
Compact 7 kernel size / footprint RRS feed

• Question

• my first Compact 7 kernel is ready, but I am currently wondering about kernel image size. I have created a small OSDesign with simple Silverlight support, no CF3.5, no internet services, no media player, No DirectX, no Interner Explorer and no SQL Compact support and the kernel image already is about 35MB.

In comparison to a CE 6 R3 Silverlight kernel the difference is about 12 MB?!

I have seen that there are some dependecies I don't understand. E.g. quartz DLL is included although I have deselected DirectX or DirectShow support in catalog.
    Is there a known problem with os component dependecies or is it a fact that Compact 7 image bigger by default?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:06 AM

All replies

• I suggest to open both NK.BIN files (v6 & v7) within Platform Builder and examine filelist concerning what wastes a space?!
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Some of the bigger modules are: WindowsCodecs.dll msxml3.dll and syncmgr.dll . Meanwhile I have found the evoldoer.

Deselecting ActiveSync reduces the image size by more than 10MB ?!?!?!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:51 PM
  • if you look at %_WINCEROOT%\public\cebase\misc\apps.bat you'll see that setting SYSGEN_AS_BASE (i.e. selecting ActiveSync) results in including as a dependency a lot of other stuff...
    Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:01 PM