What exactly does 'Success' mean from Azure push notification telemetry? RRS feed

• Question

• I've read the explanation in the documentation but it just says the outcome means "Successfully sent the request to some number of devices", which isn't an adequate explanation, because it's somewhere farther back from the device displaying the message and I need to know where.

I have these questions:

1. Based on the outcome “Success”, precisely what point between the notification being sent to the hub and the notification reaching the phone and getting displayed do we know the notification has reached?
    2. How does Azure figure this out?
    3. By ‘some number of devices’, does this mean at least one device has definitely received the notification? I’ve had the outcome ‘Success’ before and no relevant device actually got the notification.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:28 PM

All replies

• Thank you for your question. We have are investigating to verify at what point the status codes are generated. Once we have a reply, we will share it with you.
    Friday, September 27, 2019 9:48 AM
  • When performing any API operation, the status code is only there to tell you whether or not that API operation has succeeded. So when fetching telemetry for a notification, a 200 means you have successfully fetched telemetry for the notification requested. It has nothing to do with whether or not there were failures to deliver within that given notification.

An error status code such as 401 is there to tell you there was an authorization error when calling the API, not that we could not call the PNS due to a credentials issue. An HTTP status code only relates to that very call, not any other calls that may be related.
    Friday, September 27, 2019 10:37 PM
  • When performing any API operation, the status code is only there to tell you whether or not that API operation has succeeded. So when fetching telemetry for a notification, a 200 means you have successfully fetched telemetry for the notification requested. It has nothing to do with whether or not there were failures to deliver within that given notification.

An error status code such as 401 is there to tell you there was an authorization error when calling the API, not that we could not call the PNS due to a credentials issue. An HTTP status code only relates to that very call, not any other calls that may be related.

I don't mean the HTTP status code returned. I mean the 'Success' in the JSON body. Here's an example:

"GcmOutcomeCounts": {
        "Outcome": {
            "Name": "Success",
            "Count": "1"
        }
    }

Now that I've clarified that, can you give answers to the 3 questions?

Thank you.

Monday, September 30, 2019 9:57 AM
  • Can you answer the questions? Thanks
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:09 PM