none
VS2010 Report Designer only locates datasets in project root? RRS feed

• Question

• I've come across some strange behavior in the Report Designer when transitioning from VS2008 to VS2010. I had organized my datasets in a subfolder of my project eg. /DataSets/SomeDataSet.xsd. However the report designer that comes with VS2010 will not allow me to select any of the existing datasets unless I move them to the root of the project like /SomeDataSet.xsd.

Is there a way to change or override this behavior or alternatively manually add instructions to the report designer to look into a different location?

Thanks in advance,
    Elmar

(running Visual Studio 2010 v.10.0.30319.341)
    Imagination is more important than knowledge
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Elmar,

If you place you datasets in a subfolder of your project, you can choose these datasets by the following steps:

As you mentioned, when add a dataset to you report, the Data source dropdown list only includes datasets in the root folder, to choose datasets in subfolders, please refer to the following steps:

1.    Click the button New… after the Data source dropdown list.

2.    In the Data Source Configuration Wizard window, select Object, then click Next.

3.    In the tree view What objects do you want to bind to, check the dataset which you need to choose in the <ProjectName>/<SubfolderName> path, then click Finish.

4.    After that, the dataset will be included in the Data source dropdown list and you can be used in your report.

For more information about Creating Data Sources for a Report, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252094.aspx

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Tony Chain

• Proposed as answer by Tony ChainModerator Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by ElmarG Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Elmar,

If you place you datasets in a subfolder of your project, you can choose these datasets by the following steps:

As you mentioned, when add a dataset to you report, the Data source dropdown list only includes datasets in the root folder, to choose datasets in subfolders, please refer to the following steps:

1.    Click the button New… after the Data source dropdown list.

2.    In the Data Source Configuration Wizard window, select Object, then click Next.

3.    In the tree view What objects do you want to bind to, check the dataset which you need to choose in the <ProjectName>/<SubfolderName> path, then click Finish.

4.    After that, the dataset will be included in the Data source dropdown list and you can be used in your report.

For more information about Creating Data Sources for a Report, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252094.aspx

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Tony Chain

• Proposed as answer by Tony ChainModerator Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by ElmarG Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Tony,

How do I select Object in Data Source Configuration Wizard. The wizard only lets me configure it to a sql database. The list of objects are only the database tables and stored procedures.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:22 AM
  •  

Me too is facing the same problem with VS2010 Pro.

Report Designer -> Report Data -> New -> Dataset

This opens up a dialog for selecting data source. However, my custom business objects are not visible!

When I click "New", it opens up Data Source Configuration Wizard asking for Data Connection! This is actually the second step of the wizard! The first step where we can select "Object" is skipped altogether!

Anyone else, experiencing the same problem?

-@bhitalks

Monday, December 6, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Install SP1 for VS2010.  you should see all datasets in the project.

Friday, August 19, 2011 2:37 PM