View Release Management Logs RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Release Management with TFS 2013 and I'd love to be able to see the deployment logs directly inside Visual Studio. Is there a way to make this happen?

We have quite a few team members, and getting them all setup with the RM client is fairly annoying - especially if all they're doing is checking to see why a deployment failed.

This is especially important given that I'm using RM to execute system/UI tests, and the failure of these tests is totally opaque unless you view the deployment logs for that step.

I noticed there is a web portal for RM, but it basically seems empty. Are there plans to expose this type of stuff via a web UI?

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:51 PM

Answers

• Hi RMD,  

Thanks for your reply.

If we queue the build definition to trigger the release template, we also can check whether release failed from TFS build result, but we need check the build failed errors in build result, release failed(Release build failed show in build error message) can cause the TFS build failed, other build errors can cause the TFS Build failed too.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 6, 2014 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi RMD,  

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know current Release Management not support such view log feature yet, we need to check and view log in Release Management Client. For this scenario, please submit it to User Voice site at: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:54 AM
  • I don't even get e-mail notifications, despite the fact I've setup the SMTP Server Configuration for RM. Is it really true that the *only* way you know a release failed and why is by logging into the RM Client and sitting there refreshing it?

Seems mind boggling to me.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Hi RMD,  

Thanks for your reply.

If we queue the build definition to trigger the release template, we also can check whether release failed from TFS build result, but we need check the build failed errors in build result, release failed(Release build failed show in build error message) can cause the TFS build failed, other build errors can cause the TFS Build failed too.

Friday, June 6, 2014 7:59 AM