none
Point to Site VPN - Client can't connect RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the azure tutorial on how to setup a point to site VPN. Everything went well. My gateway is established and appears to be awaiting clients. I have my root certificate uploaded and I've installed the client certificate on the client machine. Then using the downloaded VPN program from the dashboard I can't connect and get a message: 

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time,

or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (Error 0x8007274c)

This guy seems to have had the same problem, but his cause was that his trial expired and deleted the virtual network. This is not the case for me as I'm a paying subscriber. 

What should I be checking?

Monday, February 3, 2014 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, please make sure that the certificate you upload is the .cer root certificate, not the VPN client certificate. In addition, did you see an IP address for your VPN gateway displayed in the portal?

What is the version of the client operating system? Please also make sure the root certificate is in the My store trusted root and the client certificate private key is installed in the certificate My store. In addition, you can run ipconfig/all on the azure VM to compare in the link below to see if your VPN connection is active.

If every step you followed in the link below is correct, maybe you can upload the root certificate again without deleting the displayed entry in Azure and install the client certificate and VPN client configuration package to see if the issue persists.

Configure a Point-to-Site VPN using the Management Portal Wizard

Best regards,

Susie

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please make sure that the certificate you upload is the .cer root certificate, not the VPN client certificate. In addition, did you see an IP address for your VPN gateway displayed in the portal?

What is the version of the client operating system? Please also make sure the root certificate is in the My store trusted root and the client certificate private key is installed in the certificate My store. In addition, you can run ipconfig/all on the azure VM to compare in the link below to see if your VPN connection is active.

If every step you followed in the link below is correct, maybe you can upload the root certificate again without deleting the displayed entry in Azure and install the client certificate and VPN client configuration package to see if the issue persists.

Configure a Point-to-Site VPN using the Management Portal Wizard

Best regards,

Susie

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:06 AM
  • I followed these steps and hit this exact issue.  Any other ideas?  Client is Win8.1. Certs in place as instructed.
    Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

Since this thread has been created for a long time, I recommend you to create a new one for assistance.

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Best regards,

Susie

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:21 AM