How do I get all Metro style apps list in my Metro App? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to get all Metro apps list in my Metro App, just like the "search apps".

I found the article that "How to Inventory Packages ", but it doesn't work in Metro app.

How shoud I do?

• Edited by Eric_Zhu Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:03 AM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Eric,

Such an app would need to be written as a desktop app. Metro apps won't have sufficient privileges to manipulate packages like that. You should be able to use the PackageManager API from a desktop app, but you will need to make sure to include the appropriate references from %windows%\system32\WinMetaData.

Any questions you have about writing Desktop apps should be posted in the Windows Desktop Development Forums.

--Rob

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:01 PM

All replies

• Why do you need this?  Metro apps are generally unaware of other applications except via contracts.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:27 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I want to developer a Metro package manager that can list the package name, full path and the space of package, and user can remove the package.
    Can do this in Metro style app? Or only the OS can do this?

If the Metro style app can't do this, can I use the desktop app to achieve it?

And I find the PackageManager API can't use in desktop app too, the VS 11 Developer Preview tell me that can't find the 'Windows' namespace.

My environment is as follows:
    Windows Client Developer Preview with Tools (64 bit);
    Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Developer Preview;
    the Windows Runtime Software Development Kit.

Is My environment not support the PackageManager API in Desktop app? Or some problems in my settings?

Thank you very much
    Eric

• Edited by Eric_Zhu Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:23 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Such an app would need to be written as a desktop app. Metro apps won't have sufficient privileges to manipulate packages like that. You should be able to use the PackageManager API from a desktop app, but you will need to make sure to include the appropriate references from %windows%\system32\WinMetaData.

Any questions you have about writing Desktop apps should be posted in the Windows Desktop Development Forums.

--Rob

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:01 PM
  • 你是朱楠?
    Friday, December 9, 2011 2:43 AM
  • 是的,周文凯?
    Monday, December 19, 2011 6:42 AM
  • 我去,这世界太小。。
    Monday, January 9, 2012 6:57 AM