Localizing data populating from database RRS feed

• Question

• User-954325307 posted

How can I localize data, which is populating from database..

Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:43 AM

Answers

• User-400329145 posted

oops, no sorry, i just tried it, and does not works
    but i tried to do a function like <% translate(eval("title")) %>

end for each language the function returns the properly translation in the resource file

it seems working good now...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:23 AM
  • User-242433875 posted

If I understand you requirement correctly from such a breif statement, it basically depends on what you have in your database.

For instance, if you have a field, say "About" in one of the table. One of the record(s) in the table says "I am new to this collage" for "About" field and you would like it to be automatically changed to its other culture equivalent like Spanish/Russian then its not possible.

If you want to convert "I am new to this collage" to some other language, then you need to do it manually. There is no possible way to accomplish it via database technology.

Only possible alternative(s) is that you can convert it to other culture and save it in database beforehand. Thereafter, when required, you can retrieve it from database and render it on page for correct culture.

Alternatively, you can use Language translation APIs like Google Language to populate the information in specific culture. To do it, you need to specify the desired culture for the page/application and populate the information on it in its native language (English in our scenario.) Thereafter, on client side, you can invoke the Google Language Translation APIs to convert the specific text from English to specific language like Spanish/Russian etc. Thus the final output rendered to user would be in his (or specified) culture.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:19 AM

All replies

• User-1200560727 posted

Below post will helpful to you:

http://forums.asp.net/p/1544084/3776317.aspx

Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:44 AM
  • User-954325307 posted

Thanks, but it dint helped me.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:30 AM
  • User-400329145 posted

hi, i have the same problem,
    now i am working to solve it

it is long to say "is done" , but my idea is insert :

meta:resourcekey="viewCartLinkResource1" 

in every label who your gridview or datalist shows, IMPORTANT it requires itemtemplate!!!
    and in the resource file add the key
    now i am working for do it, it requires some times because i have other error to fix, but you can try it!!

it seems easy to do

oops, i found an exxample  here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/755384/asp-net-metaresourcekey

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:07 AM
  • User-400329145 posted

oops, no sorry, i just tried it, and does not works
    but i tried to do a function like <% translate(eval("title")) %>

end for each language the function returns the properly translation in the resource file

it seems working good now...

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:23 AM
  • User-242433875 posted

If I understand you requirement correctly from such a breif statement, it basically depends on what you have in your database.

For instance, if you have a field, say "About" in one of the table. One of the record(s) in the table says "I am new to this collage" for "About" field and you would like it to be automatically changed to its other culture equivalent like Spanish/Russian then its not possible.

If you want to convert "I am new to this collage" to some other language, then you need to do it manually. There is no possible way to accomplish it via database technology.

Only possible alternative(s) is that you can convert it to other culture and save it in database beforehand. Thereafter, when required, you can retrieve it from database and render it on page for correct culture.

Alternatively, you can use Language translation APIs like Google Language to populate the information in specific culture. To do it, you need to specify the desired culture for the page/application and populate the information on it in its native language (English in our scenario.) Thereafter, on client side, you can invoke the Google Language Translation APIs to convert the specific text from English to specific language like Spanish/Russian etc. Thus the final output rendered to user would be in his (or specified) culture.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:19 AM