Suggestions for making Windows 8 better

General discussion

• I'm a designer and multimedia artist. I use Windows since 1995, and I frequently use about 30 programs for: design, software/widgets development, surfing web, chat, using e-mail… (including: WL Messenger, WL Mail, Office Suite, Adobe Suite, Sony A/V Creative Software, different media players, iTunes, uTorrent, Skype, Total Commander FTP, and many more.
    I have W7 64x installed on my notebook right now, and it function very well with all this soft installed and many more.
    Maybe you hear about me before, because I've made a concept, and "static" vision of what I imagine (or I would like to see) for a future UI for Windows Explorer, and I've post it in comments before, that is here: http://www.moquo.com.ar/misc/Windows8ExplorerConcept1.1.jpg
    I've read many replies from people that like my concept, and I'm glad for its positive thoughts about it.
    Now, I've installed and used W8 Preview and I would like to share some thoughts about it with you.
    METRO & AERO
    Both UI are really good. There’s no discussion about it. Metro is modern and minimal than Aero, that’s something that almost everyone knows.
    If you use a Windows Phone, you will see how simple and great can be Metro UI in front of your eyes and fingers. It’s just awesome.
    Aero haves something great and unique: Aero Glass. It does a great and innovative invent from Microsoft, and I’m glad to see it every day when I use my PC.
    But, till I’ve test W8P, I’ve release that something could be wrong, let me explain why.
    I use my laptop with an external monitor connected (it’s more comfortable for working), a Samsung monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, with a matte screen.
    My first reaction with Metro screen was “wow”, I like the movements and transitions, and the excitement of having a new “toy” like the apps, but later, when I start using the whole OS, I release that is not very funny using it as is (at least).
    I feel the W8 Preview is very oriented to touch screen devices with medium & small screens with a glossy surface. In a bigger screen, Metro UI lacks style and bright; it looks flat and empty, and the full screen apps with a mouse don’t feel good at all. It have not sense viewing a weather app in full screen. It has no sense viewing a group of apps that fill the screen in a desktop PC. It’s only to play around the first time… but… what will be happen when you saw this start screen every day? In a desktop PC could be really annoying.
    All the bigger fonts used in Control Panel, Settings and more, as well as the whole Metro UI feels like a too simple and flat design for an HD monitor. Just imagine Metro UI in your 24” monitor, without touching it! Only with a mouse and keyboard… Don’t get me wrong, I love Metro UI but I think it’s more suitable for smaller devices with touch screens.
    By using a Desktop PC, just make yourself these questions:
    - It’s really necessary to go fullscreen, and switch between 2 stages to see the weather report app?
    - It’s really necessary to go fullscreen to open Control Panel?
    - What will happen when you use IE app, and try to watch some YouTube video, or Flash website, and you release that plug-ins don’t work on IE10 app?
    - How many “clicks” you’ll have to do for only view an app and do a fast action?
    THE DESKTOP
    I think the desktop must continue to be the main space in a PC, like a "welcome home", but improved in many ways.
    To make it clear, in first place, please take a look at this image:
    http://www.moquo.com.ar/misc/ss/w7.jpg
    You’ll see here and empty an almost not functional default desktop. In this image you can access only the recycle bin. The whole thing in desktop can be improved by giving it “life” to it.
    No-one likes a desktop full of icons (like this one: http://www.moquo.com.ar/misc/ss/desktopfull.gif), messed up, or I’m wrong?
    Ok, what can be made to improve the desktop in a very interesting way?
    This image says it all: http://www.moquo.com.ar/misc/ss/desktop+metroapps.jpg
    I show you here that it can be possible to integrate Metro Apps right in the desktop without compromising desktop organization! And, the best thing is: there’s no need to press Start button to switch between apps and the desktop!
    If you take a look at this screenshot again: , you will see -apart from metro apps and the taskbar-, a bunch of icons and shortcuts, organized inside “Fences”. Fences is a 3rd party program that allows you to organize the desktop icons much better than the “organize” native function of Windows.
    This program/technology can be acquired for Microsoft for its implementation in the next version of Windows.
    So, with this screenshot, it’s proved that 4 elements can coexist well together: desktop + icons/shortcuts organization + apps + taskbar.
    HTML5 & FLASH
    I’m a designer & developer; I like and use both technologies.
    HTML5 is a new standard, but it’ll not replace Flash. Apart from other matters, Flash uses vectors, typography, and complex animations and actions that, in most cases, are very hard and impossible to build with HTML5. It’s not true that Flash it’s “buggy software”. It can run very stable on my PC. Sometimes I have more than 15 websites using Flash opened in different tabs of the browser, and it never hangs.
    I use Google Chrome as my default browser and it’s the most stable browser in the market. I can make a video to proof that it is true what I’m telling you.
    I list here some examples of websites made with Flash:
    http://www.moquo.com.ar/misc/ss/list.html
    And the question for developers and Flash-haters is: Can you do these websites with HTML5? I don't think so.
    HTML5 is very welcome too. You can do amazing things coding in HTML5, of course. Both are good technologies, and I think the users have the right to use whatever they like; so I think it’s not a good idea to forbid Flash or other plug-ins in IE10. The plug-ins can be disabled by choice.
    TABLETS / DESKTOP PC / NOTEBOOKS / PHONES
    There's no need to switch back and forth between Metro/Desktop scenarios (as I show you before). A desktop/laptop PC has enough space to share apps + taskbar + desktop icons in one place: the desktop.
    In a touchscreen phone/tablet you need to access fast to many apps that do simple things, like view your contacts, send a mail/message, view the weather report, so it have more sense to have Metro UI start screen.
    RIBBONS
    Ribbon can be very useful, but it really needs to have a better and consistent design, the same for each icon in it. And we need a way so we can customize/add/delete commands from the ribbon.
    SUGGESTIONS
    - Aero Snap it's one of the most important features for everyday work, but it needs to be improved. It needs 2 additional functions: 1) that you can snap windows in 4 or more parts of the screen, like was implemented in Google Chrome. 2) that you can “stick” 2 or more windows using the borders to resize windows automatically (as showed with Metro Apps windows)
    - Control window buttons must be redesigned… Take a look at this screenshot: http://www.moquo.com.ar/misc/ss/buttons.png -  here you will see a good example for button/window design…
    I have many many suggestions… for the taskbar and many more…
    IE9 USER INTERFACE & GENERAL UI DESIGN
    The design of old versions of IE (8.0 to 1.0) was very cluttered, with icons, menus, and lots of screen space wasted in many ways.
    But, when Google Chrome saw the light for first time, the world was fascinated for how Google handles to have a very innovating UI design and amazing functionality: tabs at the top of the window, speed of response, and very innovative integration with Windows native UI (aero glass support, Segoe ui font). Chrome was born a little time ago, and its incredible how fast people are using it as its primary browser.
    It’s not a coincidence that IE teams, later, understood what a good example of concept and design Chrome was!
    So,  it’s not a coincidence at all, that IE9 sports now a very sleek and minimal design, very close to Chrome UI.
    So, here are some questions:
    1) Why IE team took the risk of redesigning the whole UI for IE9; without been afraid by customers?
    2) Why they did a UI design WITH COMPROMISE for IE9, and now Steven said "no compromises" replying when people here asked for a new & polished interface?
    1) Why Windows 8 team seems not been interested in redesign the Ribbon, and they’re not care about of what many people want?
    2) Wasn’t Google Chrome UI a proof enough of what the people want?
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:14 PM

All replies

• very informative for microsoft, i would like to suggest through this thread if i may too,

i would like to be able to (as i just though of this) to be able to "shake" a document that i am dragging so that all windows minimize so i can drag to a folder on the desktop!
    Friday, October 07, 2011 11:35 PM
  • hopefully i'll be able to leAVE this last my last comment here:  wouldn't it be awesome if the mouse dissapeared every time you highlighted a animated button? there should be an on-off switch for that
    I also think
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

You have some very interesting points.  Windows care about what their customers wants, its just that in the real world, customers are not always right.  it would be good to read blogs.msdn/8/b8 and see the reason behind the decision. Designing a GUI is not just about making it look good. It has to work together as a whole with the different fundamentals that Microsoft envisioned for this new release of windows.

Lets give Microsoft a chance. It seems like they've learned a lot through the years not to make another ME/Vista.

Saturday, October 08, 2011 10:46 PM
  • My biggest and only suggestion at the moment...AN EXIT BUTTON FOR THE APPS!!
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 8:24 PM
  • I think the programs opened in Windows should be opened above the Metro UI, like Task Manager does.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 4:53 PM
  • I have been using the Windows Button but, it seems like the apps are still running in the background...

I wonder if the apps are continuously running after being initiated?

Monday, January 16, 2012 3:48 PM
  • I have confirmed that the apps keep running in the background even after pressing the "Windows Button".

The way I have confirmed this is through the "Task Manager" by selecting CTRL + ALT + DELETE at the same time = Task Manager.

This shows what programs are still running and every app I opened was still running in the background. This will take up processor speed and memory slowing down the PC.

Any how, if you play a game like Tube Rider and want to stop it other than just hiding it with the "Windows Button"  you will have to use the "Task Manager" to shut her down and get a little peace and quiet from the sound of the game running in the background.

Note: The Task Manager is also a quick and Easy way to "GET TO THE POWER OPTION to power down the PC safely" if you find hovering the pointer over the Start button isn't giving you the option to power down the PC.

Monday, January 16, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Any how, if you play a game like Tube Rider and want to stop it other than just hiding it with the "Windows Button"  you will have to use the "Task Manager" to shut her down and get a little peace and quiet from the sound of the game running in the background.

Try just clicking on another tile?

---

Monday, January 16, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Clicking another tile/app does not shut down the first tile/app it just starts another tile/app, that is the concern.

I have confirmed that the apps keep running in the background even after pressing the "Windows Button".

The way I have confirmed this is through the "Task Manager" by selecting CTRL + ALT + DELETE at the same time = Task Manager.

This shows what programs are still running and every app I opened was still running in the background. This will take up processor speed and memory slowing down the PC.

Any how, if you play a game like Tube Rider and want to stop it other than just hiding it with the "Windows Button" you will have to use the "Task Manager" to shut her down and get a little peace and quiet from the sound of the game running in the background.

Note: The Task Manager is also a quick and Easy way to "GET TO THE POWER OPTIONto power down the PC safely" if you find hovering the pointer over the Start button isn't giving you the option to power down the PC.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:22 PM
  • The way I have confirmed this is through the "Task Manager" by selecting CTRL + ALT + DELETE at the same time = Task Manager.

Look more closely when you do that.   The other Metro apps show a status of  Suspended.

---

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:28 PM
  • if you play a game like Tube Rider and want to stop it other than just hiding it with the "Windows Button" you will have to use the "Task Manager" to shut her down and get a little peace and quiet from the sound of the game running in the background.

As I mentioned I can get "peace and quiet" by switching to a quieter Metro app and seeing Suspended for the noisy one in Task Manager.   However, coincidentally something related to this happened to me this morning...

---

Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:37 PM