VS2015: Publish project to my Windows Server 2012 with SQL Server 2012 not working anymore RRS feed

• Question

• User-324266637 posted

Hi,

I'm publishing with the older version VS2013 Professional for some years now without any problems. When Windows 10 and VS2015 was available, I formatted my machine and installed Windows 10 and VS2015 community edition. I updated my server with the new Microsoft Web Deploy version 3.6. I loaded all my projects into VS2015 and try to publish a project to my Windows Server 2012 with SQL Server 2012 machine.

I get this error: 

Web deployment task failed. Could not deploy package. Internal Error. The database platform service with type Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Sql120DatabaseSchemaProvider is not valid. You must make sure the service is loaded, or you must provide the full type name of a valid database platform service.

I'm searching for weeks now to get a answer that is working but no luck. I just updated VS2015 to the Update1 CTP but I get still the same error.

I don't know where the problem is, is it my server or is it my computer? I installed VS2013 again and it is working fine, but I want to update to the new version. But I can't.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 3:06 AM

All replies

• User100579902 posted

mvogel

Web deployment task failed. Could not deploy package. Internal Error. The database platform service with type Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Sql120DatabaseSchemaProvider is not valid. You must make sure the service is loaded, or you must provide the full type name of a valid database platform service.

First it's recommended to repair your VS 2015, and check whether it can fix it.

To repair Visual Studio

1.In Control Panel, on the Programs and Features page, choose the product edition that you want to repair, and then choose Uninstall/Change.

2.In the Setup wizard, choose Repair, choose Next, and then follow the remaining instructions.

At the same time you can also download and install VS 2015 update1, check whether it makes any difference.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 9:23 PM
  • User-324266637 posted

I just tried that, but no it is not working to do a repair. The lastest version 1 update I already had installed.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 9:55 AM
  • User-324266637 posted

I just tried to publish a project from a HyperV virtual machine with Windows 8.1 and VS2015 installed. The same error when I try to publish a test project to my Windows 2012 server. Maybe I need to install something on my Windows 2012 server but I don't know what.

edit: I did some more tests. I created a Azure server with SQL server 2012, did the deploy.. Same error as before. I created a azure server with SQL server 2014, did the deploy and it worked.

I can't believe that I can not deploy to a SQL server 2012 version with VS2015. What do I need to install??

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 5:06 AM
  • User-324266637 posted

I really want to use VS2015 so today I upgraded my database server from SQL Server 2012 with no Service Packs to Service Pack 3. 

Everything went well, but still no way to publish something to my server. Still the same error message:

Error Web deployment task failed. Could not deploy package.
    Internal Error. The database platform service with type Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.Sql120DatabaseSchemaProvider is not valid. You must make sure the service is loaded, or you must provide the full type name of a valid database platform service.

Friday, November 27, 2015 7:10 AM
  • User-1092883509 posted

Same trouble here. Doesn't look like the issue has been resolved yet.

Monday, December 7, 2015 6:44 PM