none
Word macro crashes Word when enter key is pressed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Word 2010 (version 14.0.7145.5000 32 bit) and a macro I developed several years ago that I continue to support. The macro consists of numerous input controls (drop down, text, checkbox and radio buttons). It is a Word macro but it also accesses Excel and Outlook.

In the last week, the macro has started crashing Word whenever the user presses the enter key on any control. Normally the user navigates using either the mouse or tab key so its actually possible that the problem has existed for some time and we've only discovered the problem recently.

Based on my investigation, the last 18 releases are behaving the same way (since 2010). Previous to that release, they are not crashing.

I'm concerned that the release of a service pack may have affected the macro at some point and or the available references/controls.

Is anyone privy to an issue of this nature and can you provide a direction for me to further investigate?

Any help is highly appreciated!!

Help!

JillE

Friday, June 26, 2015 8:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Jill

I haven't come across the issue you describe...

Could you please give us a minimum set of steps to reproduce the behavior?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Sunday, June 28, 2015 3:26 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

The minimum steps is really simple:

1. Launch the macro

2. The user form appears (multipage)

3. Move to the first field (second tab)

4. Select a choice from the first drop down menu and press the enter key (this can be performed on any tab or field)

5. Word crashes and you receive the message "Microsoft Word has stopped working."

Note that it doesn't matter which screen or field is selected when the enter key is pressed. The macro still crashes Word. Note also that the macro is very large by macro standards at 3M. There is an English and French version of the macro and both crash Word. I could provide a copy if any one is willing to look at it closer.

Thanks again,

JillE

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:42 PM
  • Hi Jill

I don't have the macro or the user form so that I can test. I need repro steps the I can use to see the problem for myself. If you can put a copy in a file share, such as OneDrive and provide a link I'm sure I or someone will take a look at it...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:41 PM