Visual Studio 2008 V. 9.0.30729.4462 QFE .NET 3.5 SP1 Object Refernce not set to an instance of an object when creating a Project RRS feed

• Question

• What causes Visual Studio 2008 V. 9.0.30729.4462 QFE "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" error when creating a new Report Server Project? 
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi NChouina,

Per my understanding that you are experencing the issue when you try to create an report Server project from the visual studio 2008, you got the error "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object", right?

Generally, the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" happens when we refer a null object. I would like to know if you got the error everytime you try to create an project, please try to close and restart the Visual Studio to have a try again.

The issue can be caused by some of Visual Studio components have had some problems .Details information below for your reference:

1. First find out the location of the file devenv.exe in your system.
      The path is like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE
    2. open Command prompt, set the default location to location of the file devenv.exe
    3. Type devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs
    4. Run it, after completed it will open VS IDE.

Similar issue in below article for your reference:
    http://blog-mstechnology.blogspot.com/2009/11/object-reference-not-set-to-instance-of.html

If your problem still exists, I recommend you to try to repair the visual studio.

Regards,
    Vicky Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Vicky Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Vicky_Liu Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vicky_Liu Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:44 AM
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 3:02 AM