none
You must have the valid Analysis Services database name and cube name RRS feed

• Question

• I have Analysis Services installed, and I am able to build a cube. When I want to create a view (from server setting-->manage view-->New view), and when I select Data Analysis, I get You must have the valid Analysis Services database name and cube name .

I have tried to log in to the PWA site with system admin account, but I am not able to create a new view even with system admin account.

I am able to create a view if I open up the PWA directly from the server (with log in with system admin or any other admin users) but not able to do the same thing from the other machines, and I am getting the red error message that I posted above.

(This is a test server that I have sharepoint 2007 with SQL2008 on one singel server)

Any idea why I am getting this error?

Thanks

BTW: I tried with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services 10.0 OLE DB Provider and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services 9.0 OLE DB Provider, but no luck. I think my problem is something about component, but don't know what component I need to have installed on our clinet to get the access to create a view.

Monday, August 16, 2010 9:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

check your IE settings. I can reproduce your issue when I disable "Access data sources across domains" under miscellaneous (for zone of PWA site). This one has to be enabled.

Does that solve your issue?
    Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by B.D Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:15 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Hi,

ad 1: The description at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd285466(office.12).aspx in the section "Requirements for building and viewing cubes in Project Web Access" should help you with this question. You can try to enable the "Access data sources across domains" security setting in Internet Explorer first and see if it is sufficient.

ad 2: You can only have one cube per instance built periodically. But you can have as many views as you want based on that cube. If you have again this error, check if IE settings had been reset. I have seen that, when IE settings had been provided by AD policies. User were allowed to change, but after restarting IE it was reset to defaults ("Access data sources across domains" disabled).

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by B.D Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:02 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

check your IE settings. I can reproduce your issue when I disable "Access data sources across domains" under miscellaneous (for zone of PWA site). This one has to be enabled.

Does that solve your issue?
    Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by B.D Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:15 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Thanks.It worked for me.

1)For the other clinets that need an access, do you recommend Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services 10.0 OLE DB Provider or 9.0? Do we really need it in order to be able to create a view or it is just IE setting?

2)When we are done with creating cube and  view, can we create another cube and another view? Also when we have a cube created, we are getting the You must have the valid Analysis Services database name error message when we go to new view page (even from teh clinet that had the access before). Is it because we already have the cube and view?

Thanks

Bahram

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Hi,

ad 1: The description at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd285466(office.12).aspx in the section "Requirements for building and viewing cubes in Project Web Access" should help you with this question. You can try to enable the "Access data sources across domains" security setting in Internet Explorer first and see if it is sufficient.

ad 2: You can only have one cube per instance built periodically. But you can have as many views as you want based on that cube. If you have again this error, check if IE settings had been reset. I have seen that, when IE settings had been provided by AD policies. User were allowed to change, but after restarting IE it was reset to defaults ("Access data sources across domains" disabled).

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by B.D Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:02 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:04 AM
  • Thanks. your post was helpful.

In our test/dev server we got the cube&view,but after that all teh jobs get queued.

example: Project Save from Project Professional  Waiting To Be Processed 0%   (there is no error message)

I can not even save anything. I have SP2 on thi server and the only new thing that we added was creating cubes.

This test environment worked before,any idea?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:05 PM
  • Hi,

if it is a test environment, you can easily restart Project Server services. Perhaps that will immediately save your issue.

If not, have a look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc627258(office.12).aspx:
    If you see many jobs in the Manage Queue page that are waiting to be processed, it does not necessarily mean that the queue is not working. Many times it can be caused because there is a job in the correlation to which your jobs belong that is in a "getting queued" or "failed and blocking correlation" state. To test whether your queue is not functioning, you can attempt to send an unrelated job through the queue to see whether it is processed. For example, you can create a resource or custom field that you do not plan to use (you can delete it later). If the test job remains in a "waiting to be processed" state, the Queue service has probably stopped responding and should be restarted. If the test job processes (regardless of whether the result was successful), the problem is likely caused by a failed job that is blocking subsequent jobs in the correlation from processing. In the Manage Queue page, you must locate the job causing the problem. You can filter for jobs for a specific project name and for jobs with a job state of "getting queued" or "failed and blocking correlation". Once you find the problematic job, the appropriate action varies, but most likely cancelling the job would be necessary. Take note of any associated error information in the Error column to help determine what caused the problem.

Good luck!
    Barbara

Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:34 AM
  • I rebooted+installed all the updates, still couldn't figure it out.working on it.....

Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

are alle job types remain in  "waiting to be processed" in queue? Or only special types? Have you tried to extend the Job History period (From), to see if something happened in the past?

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:31 AM
  • Barbara,

I did try and seems like al the job get queued. i can create a form, but forced check in,delete a project,save a project all get queued.

Since this is a test, I don't really want to take your time. I created a new /pwain the same server and it works for now.

Thanks

Bahram

• Edited by B.D Friday, August 20, 2010 7:05 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Hi Bahram,

it's my spare time, so no waste. Let's try if I am more clear after my firts beer ;-). (English is not my native language). I understand that you want to give up. But if you have the instance with the issue still live, you could try to solve and take it as a training for your production environment?

I understood all the time that your jobs get queued. The issue is, that they don't get processed since one job is stucked. This job was queued a few days ago. Manage queue displays only today's jobs by default. That's the reason why I asked you to change from-date in Job History. Put in 1st of august and click on refresh, then you will need to go to the very last page. At the very end you should find the issue causing job. Try to restart, if that doesn't help, cancel it. Move on with cancelling jobs backwards. At some moment all your waiting jobs should be processed.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:51 PM
  • Barbara,

Thanks for your post, and it is a nice of you that you are following up on our issues.

I will try what you told me for sure. At this point I got another problem (again!!),sorry!

I would like to get a full backup from one PWA and load/restore it in to another PWA site on different server.

I have already tried two different ways to do backup/restore but I haven't got
    the result that I was looking for.

Here is my situation, I have a PWA site (example: aaa/pwa, production one) on server A with sql A , and now I want everything that I have on that aaa/PWA site on different URL and different server (Server B, with sql B, bbb/pwa, test server), They are on two different servers with 2 different CA  passwords( I want to test Data Analysis, but not on production, so I want some real data to load on the test environment).

I tried with stsadm -o export aaa/pwa and import stsadm -o bbb/pwa (stsadm -o import -url http://aaa/PWA/ -filename C:\test.cmp

I got the SharePoint part of the aaa/pwa on the bbb/pwa, but didn't get the custom field, users, projects, indicators...

I already tried with stsadm -o backup directory <Path> -backupmethod full,

And I moved the backup files from the server A on the local drive in serverB, and I tried to do Restore from backup from CA, and I pointed to the right path but I got

No backup history was found

Please advice, and let me know what is the best way to get a backup from one
    PWA site and reload it on another URL.

thanks

Bahram

Friday, August 20, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Hi Bahram,

Andrew gave a good description how to do this at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/projserv2010setup/thread/b797bdd0-b680-40ff-adc9-4f9d995f4793 for sure it is helpful to read the whole discussion. You will find the description in his post marked as answer.

One additional idea for your "waiting to be processed": Have you checked if project server and SQL server have the same time?

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, August 23, 2010 9:00 AM