BSOD preventing to boot Windows 8 DP

Question

• Hello, I changed registry entry to bring the classic Start menu back. Till then, everything was OK. But after a restart, system did not boot and BSOD appeared. Then it restarted again, another BSOD. After third restart I was offered to restore the system, refresh it, reset it, run command line and so on.

But - and here is the real problem - whichever of these options I choose, it says: Choose which account you want to use for this action (or something similar, I tried just to remember it). And the account list is empty! I have no accounts to choose from! Therefore I can't do anything with the system, only reinstall it from scratch again, from the installation DVD.

When setting it up, I chose I didn't want to use LiveID and I used a local account. I wanted to name it Administrator, but it said this account name can't be taken, so I named it differently. But now, neither Administrator nor the account I set up is listed, so I can't do any attempts to repair the system. And if I just let the system start, it falls back to the screen when I can choose how to repair it - with no accounts to choose from, therefore I can't really do anything.

Please help. How to save the system from having to reinstall it? I couldn't find a way how to run Safe Mode. Is this possible in this Developer Preview? I found some articles describing how to enable it from Windows and then choose it after restart. But since I won't get into Windows, is there a different way how to launch Safe Mode right when the computer boots, like I can do it with F8 key on Windows 7 and others?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:54 PM

Answers

• Hi, by the time I received your answer I had already reinstalled the system, so now I just changed the very same registry entry again, but everything works this time, no BSOD. It must have been a coincidence with something else then.

However, on the previous installation (the one I had troubles with), I tried the Automatic repair, but it said it was not able to find or repair any problems preventing Windows from starting.

Anyway, I tried the Shift+F8 combination now just to see what it does and it doesn't give me the good-old Safe Mode, it just gets me to the new graphical screen where I can choose the repair or other troubleshooting methods. This time with my account listed after choosing one of the methods.

The only way I am able to get to Safe Mode now is to go to msconfig > Boot > Boot options > Safe boot.

Tomas

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hey Tomas0907,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Windows Developer Preview installation.  The only accounts that will show up for the various troubleshooting options on the new style starup screen are accounts with adminstrative permissions, so perhaps somehow your account had been removed from the local adminsitrators group at some point.  The fact that there is no account showing up for you to use to log into the various troubleshooting options there really limits our options here, but, here are some things to try:

From the new graphical F8 startup screen, choose Troubleshoot, then Automatic Repair.   This option doesn't require a you to logon to an administrative account and may help with the problem.

Additionally, the legacy startup screen with the familiar choices, such as Safe Mode is still there, the key combonation to get there is Shift + F8 during intial system startup.  From there you may be able to use some of the choices there to get your installation back up and running without having to completely reinstall from scratch. 

Please reply with results.

Regards,

Gary

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi, by the time I received your answer I had already reinstalled the system, so now I just changed the very same registry entry again, but everything works this time, no BSOD. It must have been a coincidence with something else then.

However, on the previous installation (the one I had troubles with), I tried the Automatic repair, but it said it was not able to find or repair any problems preventing Windows from starting.

Anyway, I tried the Shift+F8 combination now just to see what it does and it doesn't give me the good-old Safe Mode, it just gets me to the new graphical screen where I can choose the repair or other troubleshooting methods. This time with my account listed after choosing one of the methods.

The only way I am able to get to Safe Mode now is to go to msconfig > Boot > Boot options > Safe boot.

Tomas

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:12 AM