none
How to use compatible id in a usb driver inf file? RRS feed

• Question

• I developed a usb driver for bluetooth dongle, and I want to write the compitable id to the inf file so I do not need to add any VID&PID to the inf file. But when I do that, I can not use inf2cat.exe to generate .cat file. The error is:

"B2.6.4.9: All Universal Serial Bus(USB) devices must have VID and PID sections in the PnP Device ID string. Third-party USB function drivers must not install through a compatible ID match. The following formats are not acceptable: USB\Class_ii,USB\Class_ii&SubClass_jj,USB\Class_ii&SubClass_jj&Port_kk

But I found some other usb driver use compatible and the driver was signed very well.

How to generate .cat file with inf2cat.exe for usb driver with compitable id in it?

Is it neccessary to generate .cat file with inf2cat.exe if I want to pass winqual?

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:29 PM

All replies

• Winqual will not allow you to successfully submit a package that matches a compatible id. This is why inf2cat fails so early in the process. Only class drivers by Microsoft should be matching a compat id. Which third party driver is matching against a compatible id and is winqual signed?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:19 PM