none
[MS-DOC].pdf BxPap contains a bOffset of 0 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Word document (I cannot share), which contains a PapxFkp that contains a BxPap that contains a bOffset of 0.  As this offset would lead to the beginning of the PapxFkp and not a valid PapxInFkp, I cannot believe that it's a valid offset.  Since this BxPap is supposed to refer to the properties that describe the paragraph or table row break, I'm wonder what the correct behavior for this is.  I have checked and the offset into the rgbx of the PapxFkp is valid (less than cPara).

The algorithm in section 2.4.6.1 does not state what should be done in case of an invalid bOffset in the BxPap.  This is the guidance I am looking for.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Steven, since we resolved your issue offline I am posting the details of the problem resolution here for the benefit of the community.

A bOffset value of 0 is considered invalid since it would not possible to locate a PapxInFkp structure using an offset of 0 within the PapxFkp structure. We are not aware of how the file became this way and no known version of Word should write that value to the bOffset. However, when this occurs, Word ignores the bOffset and will apply the 'normal' style to the paragraph. I have filed a request to have a behavior note added to the documentation with this information.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

Thank you for your question.  A member of the protocols team will contact you to investigate this issue.

Regards,

Mark Miller | Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Open Protocols Team

Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:12 PM
  • Hi Steven, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Friday, February 21, 2014 3:31 PM
  • Hi Steven, I am still looking into this issue. I hope to have more information for you soon.

I know that you mentioned that you cannot share the document, but if you could at least send me the 512 byte chunk of data that makes of the PapxFkp structure that would be very helpful since I have not been able to find an example of, or reproduce, the scenario that you are describing. A text file with the bytes in hex format or even a screen clip would be sufficient. You can send the data to me at dochelp(at)microsoft(dot)com if you don't want to post it here.

Monday, March 3, 2014 7:07 PM
  • Hi Steven, since we resolved your issue offline I am posting the details of the problem resolution here for the benefit of the community.

A bOffset value of 0 is considered invalid since it would not possible to locate a PapxInFkp structure using an offset of 0 within the PapxFkp structure. We are not aware of how the file became this way and no known version of Word should write that value to the bOffset. However, when this occurs, Word ignores the bOffset and will apply the 'normal' style to the paragraph. I have filed a request to have a behavior note added to the documentation with this information.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:43 PM