Skype not working on the Windows developer preview

Question

• I installed Skype on my Gateway NV53 laptop running the Windows developer preview as OS but as soon as i lunch Skype and enter my Skype login information,it attempts to sign in and then the windows dialog box appears and tells me Skype has stopped runctioning,and that its checking for a solution does that for a while and then tells me it couldn't fix it and then closes skype,i tried reinstalling Skype ,but still the same problem
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi metrovolution,

Take a look at this thread

Hope that helps,

BillFill

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:04 AM
    Owner
  • thanks but it keeps downloading Skype 5.3 and not the 5.5 version which is suppose to run on Windows 8
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:21 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, but with skype 5.5...first time i install it and execute, works fine. Then i restart my computer and open Skype again...i try to sign in and then skype "has stopped working" and just have to close it.

i've restored windows to previous points. reinstalled Skype, changed compatibility modes, uninstalled audio drivers to leave windows default audio drivers.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:21 AM
  • Yes, I'd have to agree that Skype (117 build) is toast in W8. It just doesn't work past the first session unless you uninstall/reinstall it.

I can confirm that it's not any of the Skype data areas doing it (deleting them doesn't fix it), so I strongly suspect one or more of the many Skype areas in the Registry, though it would take time with Process Monitor to have a chance at figuring that out. It's just not worth it.

I've seem some people have this issue over the last year even with W7 (and I've seen it myself with 2008 R2), so it's hardly surprising that there's an issue in an unreleased OS.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:39 AM
  • I'm using the Skype business version of 5.5.32.117 and it's work perfectly. No problems at all.

Thanks,
    Bobby Cannon
    http://sharpdeck.net
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Interesting, as that version is essentially identical minus the Facebook option. It makes no difference here, even in a different profile. I think you're the only person so far, here or on the Skype forum, who's said that it's stayed working for them.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:29 AM
  • I finally succeeded in downloading the 5.5 business version and so far i have been able to sign without any problem,even when i quit Skype and restart it

P.S. I chose to automatically sign me in when Skype starts up

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:23 AM
  • I was also getting the 5.3 version when downloading initially. I deleted the previous SkypeSetup.exe files from my Downloads folder and then went to Internet Options and chose to delete Temporary Internet Files. After this I was getting the 5.5.0.117 version when I clicked the download link.

The new version is available at the link below and so far has worked perfectly for me on my Windows Developer Preview machines.

http://blogs.skype.com/garage/2011/09/skype_55_for_windows_update_su_release_notes.html

Thanks,

Rich

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:06 PM
    Answerer
  • It's quite strange how it works for some but not for many others reporting here and over at Skype. Only a few people report it working so far.

I should add that Application Log reveals the infamous "BEX" error (search Skype and BEX to find numerous threads on this regarding Skype and Win7 and XP). That's one of the most vexing Skype errors of all, and it's almost impossible to get around. In this case, it remains a mystery why uninstalling/reinstalling Skype gives you one working session.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Windows-8-Developer-Preview/td-p/156212/jump-to/first-unread-message

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-crash-on-Windows-8-Developer/td-p/165702/jump-to/first-unread-message 

• Edited by rseiler Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:51 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:29 PM
  • v5.6 of Skype is out now. It certainly didn't help me with the above problem, but maybe someone else will get lucky. With this problem, it either seems to work or not, and short of uninstalling/reinstalling Skype before every run, there seems to be nothing to be done about it.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full-56

Friday, September 30, 2011 5:34 AM
  • In case anyone's interested, Skype again bumped versions today (5.6.0.110 and 5.5.0.124, take your pick), both with a specific fix for the Skype startup crash that afflicted some people and not others.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:26 AM
  • I just installed Skype and I'm having no issues with signing on, however the new problem is with contact status. None of my contacts on Dev Preview are online despite the fact that they are shown on Windows 7. I have ensured that the firewall restrictions are set to allow connections both ways. Anyone else?
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Hey Julesb671,

You may want to try running Skype as an administrator to see if that helps. This can be done by right clicking the Skype shortcut and click Run as administrator.

If that doesn't help, try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that allows you to have full functionality. You can uninstall a program by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click More settings
    • Click Uninstall a program or Programs and Features (depending on your settings)

Then you will be able to select Skype and uninstall it. Once the uninstall has finished, try downloading and installing Skype again to see if you have the same problem.

Steven
    Friday, January 27, 2012 9:04 PM
  • I downloaded the latest version today, saved it to downloads and ran the setup just fine.

5.5.59.124  (32bit version)

It picked up my Microsoft LifeCam with no problems

Made test call and connected for a video chat no issues.

I only had an issue on a test bed running W8DP in VirtualBox, it would not pickup the Webcam and would crash Virtualbox.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:11 AM