How do I use AJAX to read/write to/from an Access database? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1844653115 posted

Color me "extraordinarily frustrated"

I have a simple Access database, sitting on a server called http://www.server.com, called database.mdb. Within it is a table called "table" that has two alphanumeric fields, called "address" and "state".

I have a simple HTML page with a simple select/option statement with a unique value for each option and with a simple Onchange function handler.

I want to be able to open the database retrieve the database record corresponding to the value, dissect the database record into its various fields and then be able to display on the HTML the address and state.

It sounds like it *should* be very easy. But I'm not having any luck. Could someone help me out and, even better, give me an illustrative example?

Thank you.

Ross

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 6:46 PM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

As I said, you need server side code to be able to connect to a database and read and write data. This forum isn't the right place to teach anyone how to get started with that from scratch, so you should first choose which server-side framework you want to use (ASP.NET, PHP) and then start learning how to use it. If you choose ASP.NET, I recommend the Web Pages option. It's very similar to PHP, although Dreamweaver doesn't support it. If you are wedded to Dreamweaver, try PHP.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:49 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

You need server-side code to read from and to the database. Are you developing a Web Forms, MVC or Web Pages site?

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:09 PM
  • User-1844653115 posted

Just a simple website, read access to 1-3 tables and write access to 1-3 other tables. Via Dreamweaver CS5 when possible.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 12:10 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

As I said, you need server side code to be able to connect to a database and read and write data. This forum isn't the right place to teach anyone how to get started with that from scratch, so you should first choose which server-side framework you want to use (ASP.NET, PHP) and then start learning how to use it. If you choose ASP.NET, I recommend the Web Pages option. It's very similar to PHP, although Dreamweaver doesn't support it. If you are wedded to Dreamweaver, try PHP.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:49 AM