none
.Net framework 3.5 unable to upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 7 64 bit installed from an .iso mounted on a CD.  Since SP1 has been available, I have been unable to install it via Windows Update and directly downloading it from the website.

Recently I downloaded a program that required .Net 4.0 but was unable to install it as well.  I checked Windows Features (via Add/Remove Programs) and found .Net Framework 3.5.1 was turned off.  Clicking on it and both of its components (HTTP and non-HTTP) produces the error message: "An error has occurred.  Not all of the features were successfully changed."  Clicking on the .Net 3.5.1 alone will produce the same error.

Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1 does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list, nor does any previous version of .Net Framework.

I used a .Net Framework Cleanup Tool to try and wipe 3.5.1 and start over.  I downloaded and successfully installed .Net 1.1.  .Net 2.0 reported that it could not be installed because a version of it was already installed in the OS.  .Net 3.0 reported that a newer version of the .Net framework was installed.  .Net 3.5's executable file opened but did not run.  After this, I used the .Net Verification Tool on version 3.5.1.  It reported that verification succeeded.

Any help in this matter would be most excellent.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:14 PM

Answers

• The error you are getting when you try to turn on 3.5.1 features leads me to believe it is corrupt.

If it were me, I'd be planning to save all my "stuff" in preparation for an OS reinstall.

Hopefully, somebody else will have a less invasive suggestion.

• Marked as answer by jdskinny Saturday, April 9, 2011 9:33 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 12:34 PM

All replies

• You've probably corrupted your OS by attempting to "wipe" .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on your Windows 7 system.

Why? Because Windows 7 installs .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 through 3.5 SP1 as an INTEGRAL part of the OS, not as an add on program.

Your access to .NET Framework 3.5.1 in Windows 7 is through Windows Features (Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on or off.

Here is a link to a procedure which MIGHT fix your .NET Framework 3.5.1:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:59 PM
  • The error occurred before I wiped the .net framework.  In fact, the .Net Framework 3.5.1 was not in the Add/Remove Programs list before I attempted the wipe, prompting me to try reinstalling 3.5.1.  The SP1 update has failed since its release was made available via Windows Update, but I never needed it and as such never posted here.

As I've stated in my original post, .Net 3.5.1 in the Windows Features area is turned off.  Turning it on produces the error message: "An error has occurred.  Not all of the features were successfully changed."  I used the Cleanup Tool and Verification tool only after exhausting working through some of the fixes posted here.

I ran the SFC command listed in your post (/scannow.)  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Friday, April 8, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Please reread my previous response.

In Windows 7, you will NOT find .NET Framework 3.5.1 in the installed programs list because it is an INTEGRAL part of the OS. Therefore, you must look where I told you to look "Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on or off" In that list, you should find the entry "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1".

Expand that node and ensure that all features are enabled.

Friday, April 8, 2011 4:01 AM
  • I checked Windows Features (via Add/Remove Programs) and found .Net Framework 3.5.1 was turned off.  Checking it and both of its components (HTTP and non-HTTP,) then clicking OK produces the error message: "An error has occurred.  Not all of the features were successfully changed."  Clicking on the .Net 3.5.1 alone will produce the same error.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 5:14 AM
  • The error you are getting when you try to turn on 3.5.1 features leads me to believe it is corrupt.

If it were me, I'd be planning to save all my "stuff" in preparation for an OS reinstall.

Hopefully, somebody else will have a less invasive suggestion.

• Marked as answer by jdskinny Saturday, April 9, 2011 9:33 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 12:34 PM
  • For both lack of input and general agreement between you and I, I'm marking this as the best answer.  I'll be attempting a repair and, if that doesn't work, reinstall the OS from the .iso I have.  If that doesn't work, I'll be contacting Microsoft directly for assistance.

Thanks for the help

Saturday, April 9, 2011 9:34 PM