none
Mail app that inserts content, doesn't take three clicks to launch? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to write a Mail app that can insert content with a single click. It has to be frictionless.

The problem is, when I give it edit permission it apparently becomes a task pane app, isn't visible until launched, and requires three clicks to launch every time the user opens a new edit window. That's disappointing.

Is there a way for a Mail app to insert content but not be so tedious to launch?

Friday, July 24, 2015 7:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for letting me know! Posted my suggestion here.
    • Edited by JVimes3 Monday, July 27, 2015 4:12 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 3:39 PM
  • Hi JVimes3,

it actually *IS* possible, with the new add-in commands feature, that we just announced at Build conference. See this video here a about the 30 minute mark: https://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2015/3-694

and docs are here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/office/mt267546.aspx

that said, you do need the Outlook 2016 client, which is in Technical Preview right now.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:11 PM
  • Thanks, Andrew! That looks very promising. I'll watch the video. Glancing through, it looks like no 2013 support yet. That makes it a tough sell. 2013 was already a tough sell, since we have so many customers using old versions. But maybe they'll port the feature back sometime. I'll keep an eye out.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:25 PM
  • Is there a reasonable way for me to try this out?

The current docs aren't helpful and sample pack doesn't have a sample. I'm trying to follow the manifest docs and your code in the demo video, but not getting the button to show up. Also, intellisense isn't working for the new tags (new .xsd files not in Office Tools?).

Also, are there plans to port this to Office 2013? I think it'll be years before the majority of our customers are on 2016.

Monday, August 3, 2015 6:55 PM
  • Hi JVimes3,

If you want the add-in commands to support Office 2013, you can submit the feedback from link below:
    Customer Feedback for the Office Developer Platform

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 5:08 AM
  • Thanks. Folks can now vote here.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:59 PM