cannot start SQL Server from single user mode RRS feed

• Question

• My problem is this – I cannot start SQL Server from single user mode, therefore I cannot make administrative changes to rights to my WSUS (or any) databases.  I need those rights to run SQL queries against my WSUS database.  The SA account is disabled and we do not know the password to the account.

Kiran

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:07 PM

All replies

• I  do not see what error do you get? SSIS database? I see the installation is corrupted....?

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:32 PM
  • How to troubleshoot this? This is a production box.

Kiran

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 7:15 PM
  • Hi Kiran,

From your description, your SQL server is a named instance.  Please add –s and SUSDB( instance name) parameters in your cmd  as below screenshot. And please run cmd as administrator. But i suggest you add -m in SQL Server Startup parameter using SQL Server Configuration Manager. Then restart the SQL Server Service.

If it is not work, you can try to use other methods to start SQL server in single user mode. Please refer to Different ways to start a SQL Server in single user mode and How to: Start an Instance of SQL Server (sqlservr.exe).

If they all not work, please check your register key, may be the mapping between instance ID and name is incorrect. Please follow steps from  this blog to check it.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:12 AM
  • Hi juniorkiran,

Did you resolve your issue? If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cathy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, November 11, 2019 7:02 AM