Full backup & Restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to move an entire farm to another farm. I want to backup everything : all my sites, the SSP (because I have a lot of profil properties). However, I do not want to backup the search index because it is huge.
    Is there a way (either with stsadm or via the admin console) to do so?

When I look at the admin console at the farm tree, I have two things under the node "Shared Search Index" : "Search index files" & "Search database". What is the difference?

Thank you in advance.

Julien
    Monday, January 14, 2008 9:09 AM

All replies

• Here is the best description I have seen to explain the Search DB and Index files:

The search database is a special database created when the central administrator creates a new shared services provider. This database holds all the search property metadata discovered when content is crawled by the indexer. This database along with the physical index flat files make up the “search index” that SharePoint search uses to process search requests.

I am also trying to backup the SSP without the seach DB. We just plan on recrawling instead of using all of that space for a backup. I have been told it can be done, but I have not found the STSADM command to perform the backup. I think the command to recover is -restoressp

Hopefully someone can verify...

Thanks,

Ryan

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:13 PM