none
SQL Server 2016 Management Studio - Activity monitor (processes) - Timeout

Question

• I have a problem show processes in Activity Monitor.  It works only if the database is not busy (there is aminimumof processes). During normal business hours it is not possible to view the processes. Always I receive one of two error messages: Timeout expired or Invalid operation,the connection is closed. Timeout is somewhere set to 30 seconds, but I could not find where (in the setting of management studio it is not !).

Database info: 678 GB (on SSD disks)

Machine info: 72 GB RAM (64 GB reserved as maximum for MSSQL)

Could anyone help me?

Martin

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi DanTomikNoI,

This problem can be caused by that the Activity monitor meet time out when running query. It looks like that some processes block this process, could you please run the following command:

SELECT session_id, blocking_session_id FROM Sys.dm_exec_requests where blocking_session_id <> 0

Besides, is it a localhost? I suggest you using SQL Server Profiler to trace the process when opening Activity Monitor to find which query caused this problem (find the red record).

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for reply. Your SELECT returns no record. Yes, it is a localhost. I'd raised the timeout for more than 30 seconds, but do not know where. In management studio setings it is not. I try the SQL profiler...

Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:05 AM
  • So, I checked Windows Server 2012 Event Viewer, I found one error and one warning - source Perflib:

Error:

The Open Procedure for service "BITS" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\bitsperf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

Warning:

The configuration information of the performance library "perf-MSSQLSERVER-sqlctr13.1.4001.0.dll" for the "MSSQLSERVER" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.

I tried SQL profiler, but I found nothing. What particular events should I watch (be checked)?

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Hi DanTomikNoI,

Here is a similar case which related to the service BITS, you can refer to this: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/ab7f88bd-027e-4515-898a-fcc2627aa368/cwindowssystem32bitsperfdll-failed?forum=winserverManagement

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 31, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Erros in Event Viewer I solved. But Processes in Activity monitor still not work. Resource Waits, Data File I/O, Recent Expensive Queries, Active Expensive Queries works, but "Processes" not! We have two servers with SQL 2016 Enterprise. The error is in both. It seems the wrong build of MS SQL Management Studio. I have 13.0.16106.4
    Friday, March 31, 2017 7:45 AM
  • Hi all,

We using SQL Express with Management Studio version 13.0.16106.4. Last month the same error in Event Viewer generated every day. Yes it seems the wrong build I hope.

Best Regards,

Sven

• Edited by Sven Sindel Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:54 PM edit
    Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. Every day appears the same error and "Recent Expensive Queries" is not working:

The configuration information of the performance library "perf-MSSQLSERVER-sqlctr13.1.4001.0.dll" for the "MSSQLSERVER" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.

My sql is: Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1) (KB3182545) - 13.0.4001.0 (X64)   Oct 28 2016 18:17:30   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Standard 6.3 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor) 

Did you find any solution?

thanks!

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. Every day appears the same error and "Recent Expensive Queries" is not working:

My sql is: Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1) (KB3182545) - 13.0.4001.0 (X64)   Oct 28 2016 18:17:30   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Standard 6.3 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor) 

Did you find any solution?

thanks!

Finaly i got the error... this CU fix my problem:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3212523/fix-a-memory-leak-occurs-when-sql-server-procedure-cache-consumes-too

Best Regards

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:03 AM