Variable Type: Include GUID in Default List RRS feed

• Question

• A number of the fields in our databse are keyed by GUIDs, so many of the activities which we'll write with WF4 will take GUIDs as input and output arguments.  Naturally this means we'll be creating quite a few GUID variables and arguments with our workflows.  However, in the variable type drop down in the re-hosted designer, the GUID type is not in the default list.  Considering that we'll use a GUID variable fairly often, it would be nice to have it in the default list rather than having to go:  Browse For Types -> mscorlib -> System -> System.Guid.

Is there a way I can add it into the list programmatically?  Any chance Microsoft can add it in for Beta 2 since it seems like a relatively common data type?

Thanks in advance,
    ~Howard

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• I remember there being a feature where the variable and argument designer remembers what types you have recently, and tries to keep recently used ones in the list.
    Is that feature working OK? Or, perhaps it just isn't working well in practice? Does the list empty out too often, or do other types tend to end up in your list instead of GUID?

Tim
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:01 PM
  • It does remember recently used types within a given execution of the designer app.  However, if I shutdown my designer app and restart, the list goes back to the default.  It would certainly be nice to be able to programmatically add things to the list that will always be there.  For the GUID type, since it's a core type in the .NET Framework, it seems like a decent cantidate for just including in the default list regardless of my ability to programatically add stuff.

Taking it a little farther, it might be nice to have the ablity to just plug in my own type selector (or have more flexibilty about what gets populated in the existing one).  In the rehosting scenario, it seems like this list will show all types loaded into the AppDomain.  That's probably fine if you're a developer, but if you're rehosting the designer so your customers can modify stuff, you might not want to let them see everything.

Anyhow, I'm just thinking out loud now.  At the very least, we make significant use of GUIDs and it would be nice if our end users didn't have to go digging for the type.

Thanks,
    ~Howard
    Friday, August 21, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Regarding the main question or feature request, I've forwarded it to a program manager.

In reply to one of your secondary questions about which assemblies are browsable in the rehosted designer, here's a thread which covers that:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wfprerelease/thread/762fafc7-5d9c-4293-9e15-18d54f7ff9b5

Tim
    • Marked as answer by HKuiz Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:45 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Tim,

Thanks for passing on the information and for the link above.  It'll certainly be nice to limit the types to at least the assemblies we allow.

~Howard

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:45 PM