Upload files to azure account RRS feed

• Question

• A very basic question.  I have set up a storage account in Azure which is showing as created in the management portal.  How do I now simply upload/backup my files to this account.  There seems to be no button or shortcut to do this.  Any of the help topics appear overly complex and techy.  I simply want to backup some files.

Non IT person!

Thanks

Peter

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The Azure Storage Explorer provides the functionality for creating blob containers, and uploading files into those blob containers. It's available free for download here:

http://azurestorageexplorer.codeplex.com/

Regards,

Alan

Free EBook: "Windows Azure Service Bus Developer Guide" http://www.cloudcasts.net/devguide/

• Marked as answer by Dino He Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:44 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

As pointed out by others, if you configure Azure Storage Explorer to connect to an Azure Storage account, the files are stored in the cloud, not locally. This is similar to installing a SkyDrive (or another online storage service you frequently use) client application that is capable of displaying the files stored in SkyDrive. You see the files on the UI doesn't mean they're stored locally.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework

• Marked as answer by Dino He Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:17 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Azure Storage Explorer provides the functionality for creating blob containers, and uploading files into those blob containers. It's available free for download here:

http://azurestorageexplorer.codeplex.com/

Regards,

Alan

Free EBook: "Windows Azure Service Bus Developer Guide" http://www.cloudcasts.net/devguide/

• Marked as answer by Dino He Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:44 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:27 PM
  • Alan, thanks.

I've managed to install Azure Storage Explorer and upload some files to it.  How do I know move from there to Windows Azure/the cloud??

Thanks a lot.

Peter

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 1:19 PM
  • I think you are already there since Azure Storage Explorer is just a client interface to Azure storage. Just to confirm whether you have followed the right steps and/or to know more in general, you may want to download and go through user documentation of it.

If this answers your question, please Mark it as Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Thanks Sameer.  I have followed all the steps as far as I can make out.  What I can't figure though is Azure storage explorer is stored locally as an application on my PC right?  Whereas the Azure management portal is remote on the cloud.  I can see the detail of my files locally but not remotely via the cloud app.  All I see is that my account is there and created but cannot view the files in it.  Double clicking on my storage account in Azure portal does nothing.  My concern is that if my PC crashes how then do I see and recover my files from the cloud.  Seems strange to me.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

If you have configured Azure Storage Explorer to connect to an Azure Storage account by adding an account with the name and key, the data will be stored in Windows Azuere.

Azure Storage Explorer can also use the local Developer Storage Enulator which is hosted on-premise. You should see which account you are connected to in the drop-down list box below the menu.

If you want to verify that the data is an Azure, you can try accessin it using Azure Storag Explorer from another PC.

Regards,

Alan

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:19 PM
  • Thanks Alan.

I did in fact do as you described in your first paragraph so I think I am sorted.  I will check from another PC as you suggest.  It is just a little disconcerting not to be able to see all the files there if you see what I mean.

Anyway, thanks.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

As pointed out by others, if you configure Azure Storage Explorer to connect to an Azure Storage account, the files are stored in the cloud, not locally. This is similar to installing a SkyDrive (or another online storage service you frequently use) client application that is capable of displaying the files stored in SkyDrive. You see the files on the UI doesn't mean they're stored locally.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework

• Marked as answer by Dino He Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:17 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:38 PM