Troubleshooting Windows SDK Server 2008 Download/Install RRS feed

• General discussion

•  This article applies to the Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5.  Read this other post to troubleshoot issues with the Windows SDK Update for Vista and .NET Framework 3.0.  

Running the Windows SDK web setup on some connections can sometimes have issues when downloading the files. We recommend that you clear the %temp%\sdksetup directory and retry your web setup. If that fails, switch over to the ISO setup for the Windows SDK. 

Typical %temp%\sdksetup directory:

On Windows Vista: C:\%user%\AppData\Local\Temp\SDKSetupLog.txt
    On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\%User%\Local Settings\SDKSetupLog.txt

About ISO image files

Many products are posted as ISO image files.  An ISO file is an exact representation of a CD or DVD, including the content and the logical format. ISO files end with an .ISO extension.  The most common use of an image file is to write it to a blank CD-R or DVD-R. ISO image files can also be opened and their contents copied to a local folder, much like ZIP files. ISO files may also be virtually mounted and accessed as a device. These two methods of using ISO images are described below.

Copying the contents of ISO files to a drive

The contents of image files can be used as virtual discs using utilities such as ISObuster, Daemon Tools or Virtual CloneDrive for Windows Vista. Using this method you can extract the files from an image file to a temporary folder on your hard drive, then run setup.

Writing ISO files to CD-R or DVD-R

Most CD-R/DVD-R writing software includes a feature to create a disc from an image file. Note: you must use the special "copy image to CD" or "burn image" functionality. See your software’s Help for detailed information. Common utilities for writing ISO file to recordable media such as DVD-R include Nero and Roxio.   After a CD/DVD-R has been written, you should verify that the file was successfully written. Many freeware programs are available for calculating the SDK SHA-1 hash value.  Use an Internet search engine to search for “sha1 hash” to find a freeware program.  Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 ISO verification information:

• CRC: 0x812A81E3
    • Size: 1394618368

Failed Partial Installation

If you are unable to install using the suggestions above, and identify that you are left with a partly installed program. You may want to use the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility as a last option. You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer, such as the Windows SDK. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.  Read this Microsoft Knowledge Base article carefully before using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

Other Resources

Windows SDK Online Release Notes http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/1/911e67d3-f7cc-4035-b76c-67d38e06784c/ReleaseNotes.Htm

Windows SDK blog http://blogs.msdn.com/windowssdk

Windows SDK MSDN Developer Center http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb980924.aspx

Windows SDK Developer Forum http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssdk/threads/

||Karin Meier||Windows SDK PM||Samples.Community|| http://blogs.msdn.com/KarinM ||

Karin Meier
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Karin,

I am facing problem while using Itanium Cross Compiler (Through Command Prompt) when installed the new SDK on Windows 2003-x86 .The system has Visual Studio 2005 Installed.
    When started Command prompt window of Itanium Cross Compiler it is showwing a warning/message
    "WinSDKdirIA64 not found. "

Please let me know if any more details regarding the setup etc is required.

Thanks and regards,
    Jay

Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:04 AM
  •  

Hi Jay,

How are you launching the command prompt?  There is not a specific command window for the Itanium Cross Compiler in the Windows SDK v6.1. Are you using Start, All Programs, Microsoft Windows SDK v6.1, CMD Shell?  You should see a black cmd window with yellow font.  The window title should be “Microsoft Windows Server 2003 DEBUG Build Environment.”  The message in the window should be something similar to this below.  Is this what you’re seeing?

Setting SDK environment relative to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1.

Targeting Windows Server 2003 x86 DEBUG

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1>

Did you make any changes to the default settings during setup?  I want to know if you deselected any components or specified a custom install location.

--Karin

||Karin Meier||Windows SDK PM||Samples.Community|| http://blogs.msdn.com/KarinM ||

Karin Meier
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Hi Karin,

There was a shortcut named "Visual Studio 2008 Itanium Cross Tools Command Prompt" inside folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin" . Being a Testing machine I think somebody has installed Visual Studio 2008 before since the folder is named "Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 " .So Please ignore the above question .(Sorry for the inconvenience)

Rephrasing the question

As you have mentioned above I am getting command prompt(with Yellow font) . Can you please advise how I can use itanium cross compiler through this cmd .

Regards,
    Jay
    Friday, March 20, 2009 9:45 AM
  • You can create an Itanium application with the Windows SDK build environment using the command SetEnv /ia64.

1.       Launch the Windows SDK build environment (Start > All Programs > Microsoft Windows SDK v6.1 > CMD Shell).  

2.       At the prompt, type setenv /ia64 (for example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1\Bin>setenv /ia64)

3.       You should see this confirmation:

Setting SDK environment relative to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1

Targeting Windows Server 2008 IA64 DEBUG

These instructions are included in the SDK Release Notes (Start > All Programs > Microsoft Windows SDK 6.1 >Release notes), and Documentation (Start > All Programs > Microsoft Windows SDK 6.1 >Documentation).

How-to: Set a Build Environment to Target a Specific Operating System

You can use the switches shown below to target different operating systems from within the SDK build environment.  To target Windows Vista, you should use the /vista switch. To target Windows Vista SP1, you should use the /2008 switch. Launch the Windows SDK build environment (Start > All Programs > Microsoft Windows SDK v7.0 > CMD Shell) and change directories to the \Bin folder. At the prompt, type setenv /[desired OS switch]

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1\Bin>setenv /?

Usage: Setenv [/Debug | /Release][/x86 | /x64 | /ia64][/vista | /xp | /2003 | /2008][-h or /?]

/Debug - Create a Debug configuration build environment

/Release - Create a Release configuration build environment

/x86 - Create 32-bit x86 applications

/x64 - Create 64-bit x64 applications

/ia64 - Create 64-bit IA64 applications

/vista - Windows Vista applications

/xp - Create Windows XP SP2 applications

/2003 - Create Windows Server 2003 applications

/2008 - Create Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista SP1 applications

||Karin Meier||Windows SDK PM||Samples.Community||http://blogs.msdn.com/KarinM||

Karin Meier
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Hi Karin, Thanks a lot for the reply .The ITANIUM compiler worked perfectly but we are facing another issue(probably not related with this SDK). Previously we were using Itanium compiler bundled along with Team suite(version of cl.exe - 14.00.50727.762 ) but the version of cl.exe with this SDK is 15.00.21022.8 . Don't know how to solve this issue.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 4:45 AM
  • I'm having a problem installing Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5. When I look at the log it seems to indicate unknown status for the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable. I have Visual Studio 2000 Team Suite installed with SP1 applied, .NET framework 3.5 with SP1 on Vista ultimate with SP1. All latest windows updates applied. I also have SQL Server 2008 with SP1 applied. I did notice that Visual C++ 2005 redistributable is installed...although I'm not sure what software installed it...possibly SQL Server for some of its tools.
    Can you point me in the right direction?
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:39 AM
  • Hi Michael, I'm sorry you're having a problem installing the SDK.  Can you tell me the exact error you’re seeing?  It would help if you could send me your log, which typically installs to C:\%user%\AppData\Local\Temp\ on Vista.

--Karin

Karinm_@_microsoft.com (remove underscores)

||Karin Meier||Windows SDK PM||Samples.Community||http://blogs.msdn.com/KarinM||

Karin Meier
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:45 AM
  • I am having an issue that began as a system crash requiring a restore from backups.  I didn't have a full system backup, just user files.  I had to reinstall Windows XP, all the "updates" and all my applications.  I restored Visual Studio 2008 Standard Editon, forgetting that I needed to install the SDK first.  Once I thought I had everything back to normal, I tried to build my application and realized it was set up to use SDK 6.1, but only had 6.0a installed from the VS 2008 install.  I tried installing the 6.1 SDK from an ISO DVD I had created way back when this version of the SDK was first released.  The installation notes tell you to install on a clean system, so I uninstalled all previous versions of the SDK and VS 2008.  Now, when I try to install the SDK from the DVD, I get the following error in a message box, "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135), Click on OK to terminate the application."

Suggestions?

Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Hughes,

Application failed error with "0xc000013" usually relates to corrupted .Net Framework installation. Can you installing the .Net Framework 2.0/3.5 on you machine again and verify if the Windows SDK is installing properly?

.Net Frame work 2.0 redistributable can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

and .Net Framework 3.5 Redistributable can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

Thank You, Nanda Lella. This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:46 AM
  • Thanks Nanda,

That solved the problem.  Since the SDK had .Net Framework in the description, I thought it would install what it needed.  Obviously this was not the case.  I installed 3.5 redistributable using the link you provided, and everything went smoothly after that.

I appreciate your quick and thorough response.

jfh
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:43 PM