none
Returning collection of datasets.from managed C++ to C# RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I was developing C++/Cli library to use C++ third party library  in my C# application.I wrote a method to retrive the collection of datasets from

CLI library to C#.

The method exposed from CLI library is    void Query(List<Dictionary<int ,String^>^>^  %data);

here i am using reference type in List. is it good to use reference types than value types in List?

since it is a reference type the memory will be handled by gc. Does it affects my list when i am reading

it in C# application. When GC will free the memory in this case?

Thanks& Regards

Sukumar

• Moved by Leo Liu - MSFT Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:07 AM Moved for better support. (From:Visual C# General)
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 9:26 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Sukumar,

It is OK to use reference types in a generic list. Actually, we usually use List<T> to contain some reference types.

In your case, we need to Marshal a managed memory to the generic list, then pass it to unmanaged code. It is OK, just remember to Free the allocated memory so that it would be reclaimed.

Have a nice day.

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Monday, July 18, 2011 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi SukumarNellore,

I am moving your thread into the Common Language Runtime Forum for specialized support.
    Thanks.

Have a nice day,
    Leo Liu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:06 AM
  •  

Hi Sukumar,

It is OK to use reference types in a generic list. Actually, we usually use List<T> to contain some reference types.

In your case, we need to Marshal a managed memory to the generic list, then pass it to unmanaged code. It is OK, just remember to Free the allocated memory so that it would be reclaimed.

Have a nice day.

Paul Zhou [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Paul Zhou Monday, July 18, 2011 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:48 AM