Simple org-chart/hierarchical graph RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to produce an org-chart/hierarchical graph of nodes and leafs, e.g. something like this:

----Root-------
       |                  |
    Node           Node
    |    |                |
    Lf  Leaf        ---------
                      |         |
                    Leaf    Leaf

Is this possible?  I've used the MDS layout to get straight lines, but they're not quite the straight lines I was expecting (I want right-angled lines, not diagonal)

Cheers,

Steve

Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

MSAGL does not produce rectilinear layouts, sorry!

Thanks,

Lev

Lev Nachmanson
    • Marked as answer by Steve Dunn Monday, October 18, 2010 5:08 PM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:17 AM

All replies

• After looking at my original question, my followed up was 'why can't I edit my original question?'  I noticed grammatical mistakes which seemingly I could not correct.  Has anyone on this site even looked at StackOverflow.com?  It REALLY IS time to re-evaluate what constitutes a forum/Q&A site.  I really (REALLY) do dislike MS forums; I feel like if this could be represented in typical MS data-grid format, it would!  Get user friendly!.  Do people REALLY want to see when scrolling down: 'question': 'accepted answer', 'reply', 'same answer as accepted answer', 'some other reply'...  That's not how I like to read. I want to see a question and what THE COMMUNITY THINK is the best/most relevant answer.  Certainly NOT the same thing repeated multiple times.... 
    update:
    I went to tone down this rant, but upon hitting the Edit button, it showed me the text in a 5pt font.  So I'm leaving it!
    • Edited by Steve Dunn Monday, October 18, 2010 5:08 PM
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Hi Steve,

MSAGL does not produce rectilinear layouts, sorry!

Thanks,

Lev

Lev Nachmanson
    • Marked as answer by Steve Dunn Monday, October 18, 2010 5:08 PM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply Lev.  Is line routing extensible in any way?

Many thanks,

Steve

Monday, October 18, 2010 5:09 PM
  • In some sense, yes. You can lay out a GeometryGraph using any method of MSAGL. So now you have the GeometryGraph object at hand. If you are happy with the node positions but just want to have different edges, then run your own algorithm and set Edge.Curve as you wish for each edge in GeometryGraph.Edges. New curves can be rectilinear.

Thank you,

Lev

Lev Nachmanson
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:41 PM