none
Visual Studio 2015 does not have menu “Target framework”

Question

• Hello,

I just installed VS2015 with version 14.0.25123.00 Update2. I create HelloWorld for Windows Phone project. I right-click on the project to go into project Properties. Then I see tabs: Application, Build, Build Events, Debug, Reference Paths, Signing, and Code Analysis. In the Application tab, I don't see "Target framework:" menu exists that allows me to change the .NET Framework version.  Am I missing some installations?  Thanks.

• Edited by pes2016 Friday, April 15, 2016 11:33 PM
    • Moved by DotNet Wang Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:34 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2016 11:31 PM

Answers

• Thanks for Andy's help

Hi pes2016,

>> I don't see "Target framework:" menu exists that allows me to change the .NET Framework version.  Am I missing some installations?

As far as I know, we could not change the default .NET Framework version for the Windows Store and Windows Phone app in Properties -> Application tab directly.

If you want to configure .NET Framework version for your Windows Phone app, please refer to the detailed steps in following article.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj152935(v=vs.110).aspx

>> can you share the steps to create Windows Phone app with Visual Studio 2015 because I thought I just created Windows Phone app but I was not aware that was for winrt.

The steps about creating Windows Phone app is described by yourself in previous reply (Template -> Visual C# -> Windows -> Windows Phone ). These steps is correct and please do with this workflow.

Could you please tell us why do you want to change the .NET Framework for your Windows Phone app? I suggest you don't change the default .NET Framework version. If there has any problem caused by the .NET Framework version, it is need a lot of time to resolve for a beginner.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Doesnt WindowsPhone use ARM? I dont have VS2015 or code apps for Windows Phone.

Could the option for dotNet be missing cause Windows Phone doesnt use the PC version?

I know from CE 5 apps had a Compact DotNet, so not sure about newer devices like that.

Sorry, if not helpful, goodluck :)

Saturday, April 16, 2016 12:18 AM
  • Nah, nothing to be sorry, and thanks for the response.  

Yep my Windows Phone device is ARM and my Visual Studio project is ARM too.  Good points about embedded project only can reference compact framework, so after you mentioned, i went back to create new project for normal Windows 8.1 app, and not Windows Phone 8.1 app but it's still the same result as I click on right-click to project Properties, I see "Application" tab but there is no "Target framework" menu.

Saturday, April 16, 2016 1:29 AM
  • Windows phone does not use the .net framework, it uses winrt.

You can't select different frameworks, because there are none.

You can set the target platform version in the csproj:

<TargetPlatformVersion>8.1</TargetPlatformVersion>

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Layout Lab; All my Technet Articles

Saturday, April 16, 2016 3:12 PM
  • I see.  Thanks. 

Then does this instruction misleading information? 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398202.aspx

• Edited by pes2016 Saturday, April 16, 2016 4:32 PM
    Saturday, April 16, 2016 4:30 PM
  • I see.  Thanks. 

Then does this instruction misleading information? 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398202.aspx

There is a specific mention of winrt:

"

After you create a Windows Store app, you can't change the targeted version of either Windows or the .NET Framework.

"

Maybe that could have been clearer if it explained why.

To be fair to the author though, the subject of the article is changing the .net framework.

It just doesn't apply to UWP apps.

Hope that helps.

Sunday, April 17, 2016 10:03 AM
  • Thanks for replying.  

I'm not creating Windows Store app, I believe..  I simply run Visual Studio 2015, create new project by going to Template -> Visual C# -> Windows -> Windows Phone then choose "Blank App (Windows Phone)".  Is that Windows Store app template?  I don't know since this my first application trying to develop.

Monday, April 18, 2016 6:44 PM
  • You are using a project template which targets the windows phone api.

Not .Net.

At least not directly.

Hope that helps.

• Edited by Andy ONeill Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:07 AM corrected terminology
    Monday, April 18, 2016 6:58 PM
  • If you dont mind, can you share the steps to create Windows Phone app with Visual Studio 2015 because I thought I just created Windows Phone app but I was not aware that was for winrt.
    • Edited by pes2016 Monday, April 18, 2016 10:51 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 10:51 PM
  • Hi pes2016,

This forum is about the C# programming language, IDE, libraries, samples, and tools, as your issue is more related to the Visual Studio itself, we help you move it to the Visual Studio General Questions forum for better support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Albert Zhang

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:34 AM
  • Thanks for Andy's help

Hi pes2016,

>> I don't see "Target framework:" menu exists that allows me to change the .NET Framework version.  Am I missing some installations?

As far as I know, we could not change the default .NET Framework version for the Windows Store and Windows Phone app in Properties -> Application tab directly.

If you want to configure .NET Framework version for your Windows Phone app, please refer to the detailed steps in following article.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj152935(v=vs.110).aspx

>> can you share the steps to create Windows Phone app with Visual Studio 2015 because I thought I just created Windows Phone app but I was not aware that was for winrt.

The steps about creating Windows Phone app is described by yourself in previous reply (Template -> Visual C# -> Windows -> Windows Phone ). These steps is correct and please do with this workflow.

Could you please tell us why do you want to change the .NET Framework for your Windows Phone app? I suggest you don't change the default .NET Framework version. If there has any problem caused by the .NET Framework version, it is need a lot of time to resolve for a beginner.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:16 AM
  • Thank you for all the responses also glad to know that I used the correct template for Windows Phone.  This my first app and I'm trying to create simple test framework.  My scenario is that I have test cases storing inside XML file and the test framework would read the XML to get all test cases.  But when I tried to use namespace like 'System.Xml.Linq' or 'System.Xml', the error i got something like "The type ' ' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced.  you must add a reference to assembly 'System.Xml.Linqu, version=4.0.0 ,,,'  So what was when I checked the .Net framework on my visual studio, it was newer so I looked for a way to change framework version.  However I've postponed reading xml for the time being.  But thank you for letting me know that I'm on the right track with Windows Phone app because it's kind of confusing since there are many such universal app, store app, winrt, etc.
    • Edited by pes2016 Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:13 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:11 PM