none
Deploying .NET 3.5 libaries with an application RRS feed

• Question

• I have clients who are limited to having the .NET 2.0 framework installed.  This is a WinForm desktop application. 
    It is not possible to install the .NET 3.5 framework as part of the application deployment.

Is it possible to package the .NET 3.5 libraries with my application so I can use .NET 3.5 functionality?
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:11 AM

Answers

• I have clients who are limited to having the .NET 2.0 framework installed.  This is a WinForm desktop application. 
    It is not possible to install the .NET 3.5 framework as part of the application deployment.

Is it possible to package the .NET 3.5 libraries with my application so I can use .NET 3.5 functionality?

Hi Michael,

I'm afraid you can't. This violates the .NET Framework EULA.

Actually, the end user must accept the .NET Framework 3.5 EULA before installing it. So you can't just include part of the framework libraries directly into your application setup.

And on the technical side, many .NET Framework 3.5 libraries depends on an upgraded version of .NET Framework 2.0. The .NET Framework 3.5 Redist setup will automatically install updates to .NET Framework 2.0 to ensure 3.5 works properly.

Just like A.m.a.L said, you may consider re-targeting your application to .NET Framework 2.0 instead.

Regards,

Jie
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (CHS)
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:56 AM

All replies

• You can use the Setup & Deployment project to create an msi for your application.

While creating msi you can have the option to check whether .Net 3.5 is installed or not. If not installed you can automatically install 3.5

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L

.Net Goodies
    [Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question]
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:27 AM

• I won't be able to install .NET 3.5 to the operating system.
    The OS is managed by the client and will not allow this type of upgrade.

Is it possible to deploy the .NET 3.5 DLL's in my application's directory for reference by the application?
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Without .Net framework installed your client won't be able to run your application.

Alternate, since the client already have .Net 2.0 its better to change your application to use .Net 2.0

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L

.Net Goodies
    [Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question]
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:06 PM

Hi Michael,

I'm afraid you can't. This violates the .NET Framework EULA.

Actually, the end user must accept the .NET Framework 3.5 EULA before installing it. So you can't just include part of the framework libraries directly into your application setup.

And on the technical side, many .NET Framework 3.5 libraries depends on an upgraded version of .NET Framework 2.0. The .NET Framework 3.5 Redist setup will automatically install updates to .NET Framework 2.0 to ensure 3.5 works properly.

Just like A.m.a.L said, you may consider re-targeting your application to .NET Framework 2.0 instead.

Regards,

Jie
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.

The CodeFx Project
    My Blog (CHS)
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:56 AM

• Thanks for the detail, Jie.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:08 PM