How to Set "Lock Screen Notifications

Question

• I'm using Visual Studio Express 2013, and I don't want any lock screen notifications.  Do I have to have them?  If I set them in the App Manifest under "Application Lock Screen Notifications" to "(not set)", it's an error.  If I set it to Badge, I have to supply three badge images.  However, when I set the 58 by 58 to an appropriate image it says:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows
    A file with the name 'H:\Projects\...\Assets\StoreLogo.scale-240.png' already exists. Do you want to replace it?
    Yes   No   

What does a 58 x 58 image have to do with a 120 x 120 image?  And if I say yes, it dutifully replaces it, and I get an error in Store Logos for the 120 by 120 image saying it is 58 x 58.

I'm trying to submit my app, and this is the making it impossible.

Larry Maturo

Monday, May 11, 2015 8:24 PM

Answers

• The error message I get is:

Error 2 App manifest defines invalid lock screen notifications value '' for attribute '/Package/Applications/Application/m2:VisualElements/m2:LockScreen/@Notification'. Valid values are 'badge' or 'badgeAndTileText'. For some reason it does not like (not set).  I tried specifying images, and had the problem I described above.  I've tried deleting them, but can't see any way to do that.  Note that is only happens in the Windows Phone 8.1 project.  I have the Windows 8.1 project set to (not set) with no badge images and I don't get an error message.

I just solved the problem thanks to your help.  I looked at the png files I had in assets in the phone project and found out I had somehow ended up with three copies of each of the badge files, something I wouldn't have thought possible.  Deleting the duplicates, I was able to open the app manifest and delete them, and the red x I was getting for (not set) went away.  Thank you!

Larry Maturo

• Marked as answer by lmaturo Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hi lmaturo,

>>I don't want any lock screen notifications

You just need to set the Lock screen notifications to "not set" in the Application tab, note that only the user can control which app can be shown on the lock screen, setting the Lock screen notifications option just gives the user those possibilities, see Declaring your app's lock screen capabilities & User management of lock screen apps

>>If I set them in the App Manifest under "Application Lock Screen Notifications" to "(not set)", it's an error.

What's the detailed error message?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:24 AM
  • The error message I get is:

Error 2 App manifest defines invalid lock screen notifications value '' for attribute '/Package/Applications/Application/m2:VisualElements/m2:LockScreen/@Notification'. Valid values are 'badge' or 'badgeAndTileText'. For some reason it does not like (not set).  I tried specifying images, and had the problem I described above.  I've tried deleting them, but can't see any way to do that.  Note that is only happens in the Windows Phone 8.1 project.  I have the Windows 8.1 project set to (not set) with no badge images and I don't get an error message.

I just solved the problem thanks to your help.  I looked at the png files I had in assets in the phone project and found out I had somehow ended up with three copies of each of the badge files, something I wouldn't have thought possible.  Deleting the duplicates, I was able to open the app manifest and delete them, and the red x I was getting for (not set) went away.  Thank you!

Larry Maturo

• Marked as answer by lmaturo Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:19 PM