Devices Not Responding After Resume

Question

• On Windows 7 I had an issue where the display periodically wouldn't power on after a resume from sleep. Since I've been trying Windows 8 I've noticed that the display will still not respond after resume and also my keyboard (Logitech Illuminated) is not available. Usually putting the system to sleep again and then waking again sloves the issue although sometimes the sleep cycle needs to be repeated a few times before everything is functioning normally.

I had to cycle it 5 times to get into this session - which is an annoyance.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jac70,

here is a copy-paste of Steven's reply in the context of incompatible drivers and you seem to have driver issues, particularly your display driver:

Try installing the latest version of all available drivers from your computer manufacturer's website. Then restart your computer and test to see if the same problem occurs. If any of the drivers aren't able to install properly, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice forThis program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run nowwhen it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

If you have any external hardware connected to your computer, another method of testing would be to try restarting your computer with the external hardware disconnected. If the crash doesn't happen, try connecting the disconnected devices one by one and restarting your computer to see which is related to the crash.

Hope that helps and the post does not amount to plagiarism.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:01 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Well thanks for the reply but I am using all the latest drivers for my system.

My post was more of a heads up for the development team and also to see if anyone else was having this issue. My guess is there has been some kind of change in a subsystem related to permissions for drivers.

The Setpoint software needs to be given administrator access before it can function properly in Windows 8 so I expect this problem wont be fixed until Logitech release official drivers for Windows 8. The WDDM 1.2 display model may also help with resume issues so again I need Nvidia to release WDDM 1.2 drivers.

Cheers

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Hi again Jac70,

faced this sleep-resume issue when I was using ATI Radeon Xpress 200 integrated graphics on my desktop on my Windows 7 upgrade from XP, happened fairly often and persisted in WDP, till I added ATI Radeon HD 5450 last month, it worked well with the driver I got from the update and works equally well when AMD released the WDP compatible drivers recently. Obviously, your sleep-resume issue is related to your graphic driver. Do not have much to say about your Logitech problem, except to try to run all available drivers in Win 7 compatibility mode till WDP drivers are released. You may also read Andre Ziegler's post below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/cf8f790c-66c9-44f8-aae1-ff44cd3fab36/

Irfan
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:14 AM
  • One more suggestion, that also report this issue to the manufacturer of drivers that you have problem with. It could be some sort of delay or error when they read from memory after wake up from sleep.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:41 PM