none
Error "AssignmentCannotEditSummaryTask" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I do update tasks of project via PSI in MS Project 2010 and get error "AssignmentCannotEditSummaryTask". Do you know how to avoid this problem?
    Monday, January 31, 2011 8:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Andromeda61,

We will need more information about what exactly you are trying to do (what are you updating on a task?).

Does your project have any assignments on a summary task? Or are you trying to update a summary task?
    When looping over the list of projects, you might need to filter out summary tasks depending on what you are updating.

Regards,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, January 31, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Some tasks are summary but I skeep it. Theese tasks have subtasks included in it. And theese subtasks have assigments. Do you know how update only tasks which don't have assigments. This is my code:

projectId =

new Guid("7F555F85-B0B9-4F9B-AAC0-DE4142EW1A21");

projectDs = projectClient.ReadProject(projectId, SvcProject.

DataStoreEnum.WorkingStore);

taskGuid =

ProjectDataSet

(

from Task in projectDs.Task

where

(Task.PROJ_UID == projectId)

&& (Task.TASK_UID == taskGuid)

select Task).FirstOrDefault();

if (Row != null) AND (!Row.TASK_IS_SUMMARY) Row.TASK_NAME = TaskName;

projectClient.QueueUpdateProject(jobUid, sessionId, projectDs,

false);

.TaskRow Row =  new Guid("6Q555F85-B0B9-4F9B-AAC0-JE4142EW1A21");
    Monday, January 31, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same error when adding an assignment to a summary task. How to add an assignment to a summary task? I'm able to do it using Project Professional.

code:

public static void AddAssignmentToTask(Guid project_UID,Guid task_UID, Guid res_UID, ProjectDataSet.AssignmentDataTable assignmentDataTable)
        {
             ProjectDataSet.AssignmentRow assignmentRow = assignmentDataTable.NewAssignmentRow();

assignmentRow.ASSN_UID = Guid.NewGuid();
            assignmentRow.PROJ_UID = project_UID;
            assignmentRow.TASK_UID = task_UID;
            assignmentRow.RES_UID = res_UID;

assignmentDataTable.AddAssignmentRow(assignmentRow);        
          }
        }

thanks

Ricardo

Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hi Andromeda61,

Based on your code, I don't see why you are getting that error as you are not updating summary tasks. Can you run in debug mode thorugh the code, and validate for each task that you are trying to update that is really is not a summary task. Maybe something is wrong with your filtering clause.

@RicRoc: is it not recommended to assign resouces to a summary task. In addition, this is not possible with the PSI.

For both of you, take a look at the article 'What the PSI does not do' in the SDK. This describes what cannot be done with summary tasks and which fields can be edited.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee767706.aspx

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:29 AM