none
SharePoint 2013 - Custom Master Page / Page Layout RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

- I've covert an HTML file using Design Manager >> Edit Master Pages to convert successfully. Now I've a custom master page.

- I changed my default master page to custom master page and it looks fine. But the problem is when I try to edit the page all the web parts (snippets) are appears at the bottom of custom master page.

- So I created new page layout 

-  After conversion successful.

- When I can click on new page this message shows up.

Sorry, something went wrong 

An invalid or empty reference to a Cascading Style Sheet file was specified. Valid references must specify only a filename that ends with a ".css" extension 

Thanks for help

• Edited by aashikkumar Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:30 PM

Answers

• Have you validated all of your code? It sounds like there is either a bad reference or an open tag somewhere in your files.

Cathy Dew SharePoint MVP Blog: www.sharepointcat.com Twitter: @catpaint1

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:18 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 11:52 PM

All replies

• Have you validated all of your code? It sounds like there is either a bad reference or an open tag somewhere in your files.

Cathy Dew SharePoint MVP Blog: www.sharepointcat.com Twitter: @catpaint1

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:18 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 11:52 PM
  • Hi Cathy,

I too am experiencing this issue.  I created a new page-layout yesterday on my VM dev environment.  Shut down my VM at the end of the day (as usual) and when I came in today and fired up SP2013 to continue where I left off yesterday, I got this error when attempting to open the new page-layout:

An invalid or empty reference to a Cascading Style Sheet file was specified. Valid references must specify only a filename that ends with a ".css" extension 

I have validated both the master page and the page-layout for malformed or incorrect css references but there are none.

This kind of stuff drives me crazy with SP.  So much time spent chasing needles and the error message might have nothing to do with the real cause.

Don't know why shutting down the server would cause the page css references to stop working (if they are).  All was fine before then.

Thank you for your help and comments.

Tim

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:11 PM
  • Hi Tim,

As per my understanding try to do check the below things,

1.       Try to restore the previous version of master, page layout and the home page and cross check the malfunctioned part by comparing both current and previous content
    2.       Check for special characters added in page layout ,page
    3.       Cross with the content type mapped with this new page layout
    4.       Check for custom solution is retracted from Farm
    5.       Optionally check for any updates gone in server

OR 

Refere the below URL if the above wont works,

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5045369c-c330-4dc8-97fe-b9ad04830037/css-error-when-changing-the-master-page?forum=commserver2009

Vijaivel

• Edited by Vijaivel Monday, March 23, 2015 11:59 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2015 11:55 AM