none
create updater for windows application in .Net RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am creating deployment package with windows installer.i want to add functionality for update so when user click on update from menu of application it will check on server,download and install latest updates on client machine.

How to do this?
    Please suggest or provide me sample code.

I am using Visual studio 2005
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:32 PM

Answers

• You can use ClickOnce technology to achieve, ClickOnce forum: ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, December 1, 2008 2:16 AM
    Friday, November 28, 2008 5:23 AM
  • Hi.,,,,

There is one idea in my mind to share which i implemented in graduation project...hope it will help to understand the concept.

I maintained a config  file to store all the components and their respective size on the disk.....

while update button click I use to connect to the IP address mentioned in the code which accepts all of the incoming mentioned connections. After hand shaking it compare the size and contents of that file with file on the machine where I connected(server). If any difference it notify the user to get the latest files.

this is what I implemented in my project

I can share some of the code if you contact me at kat0072@hotmail.com . I did this using three servers Application, database, Updation

aryan
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, December 1, 2008 2:17 AM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 8:01 AM

All replies

• You can use ClickOnce technology to achieve, ClickOnce forum: ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, December 1, 2008 2:16 AM
    Friday, November 28, 2008 5:23 AM
  • Hi.,,,,

There is one idea in my mind to share which i implemented in graduation project...hope it will help to understand the concept.

I maintained a config  file to store all the components and their respective size on the disk.....

while update button click I use to connect to the IP address mentioned in the code which accepts all of the incoming mentioned connections. After hand shaking it compare the size and contents of that file with file on the machine where I connected(server). If any difference it notify the user to get the latest files.

this is what I implemented in my project

I can share some of the code if you contact me at kat0072@hotmail.com . I did this using three servers Application, database, Updation

aryan
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, December 1, 2008 2:17 AM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 8:01 AM