none
Req 3.7 Clustering support RRS feed

• Question

• In the "Implementing the Tests" section of this requirements it describes a recommended setup. It describes:

One server running Windows Unified Data Storage Server with the Microsoft iSCSI Software target to serve as an external storage device.

Windows Unified Data Storage Server is not avaiable via MSDN (or at least I can't see it.) Is there something I can use as a replacement?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Tuesday, October 9, 2007 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hello Gary,

As per this requirement, you need to have 2 servers as nodes and another server running Windows Unified Data Storage Server with the Microsoft iSCSI Software target to serve as an external storage device. However, you can mould the environment/setup a little, depending on the availability, making sure that you do not deviate from the essence of the requirement. 

However the ATA will follow the test cases as defined in the test framework and based on your instruction/documentation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Hi Gary

This is Venkat, from the Logo team.

A clarifying quesiton:

Is your product designed to be Cluster aware? or is it just compatible to run on a cluster node?

If it is only designed to install and run on Cluster node without providing cluster capabilities then many of the tests under 3.7 don't apply. This has been called out in the test framework document.

If your product is published as Cluster aware, then the question is how do you support your customers so they can achieve high availability?

Do they have to install two different MSIs?

Thanks,

[Venkat]

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:58 AM

All replies

• Dear Mike,

It seems this product is not sold as a standalone software but available as an attachment with OEM hardware.

You may visit 

http://www.rocketdivision.com/products.html

or

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/storage/wudss.mspx 

to know about OEMs with whom you may get the Windows Unified Data Storage Server product.

Hope this helps.

Dileep, Microsoft

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:40 PM
  • So there is no way to perform in house testing of this recomended scenario without purchasing a piece of hardware.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:59 PM
  • Dear Mike,

Here are the clarifications.

ISVs don’t need to purchase expensive Cluster software.

Clustering tests in Certified For Windows Server 2008 Logo program are divided into two categories.

Tests for: (See highlighted text below)

1.       Cluster compatible applications

2.       Cluster aware applications

For #2 only failover testing is required. Clearly, if an ISV is claiming fail over Cluster support they already would have the hardware & software required to test.

For those ISVs who don’t have Cluster setup, for testing #1 above the MS authorized test authorities can help. [Currently VeriTest/Wipro]

No expensive hardware is required to do the cluster testing – Software iSCSI targets  would do just fine.

Also, Win2008 clusters can be created inside of Virtual machines using iSCSI.  The iSCSI Software Initiator software could b used to connect to an external iSCSI. 

This could be a real physical hardware target, or an emulated iSCSI software target (which could even be hosted within another VM).

There are two examples here:

1. StarWind iSCSI target (http://www.rocketdivision.com/wind.html,  version 3.5 of StarWind iSCSI target)

2. Microsoft Storage Server

Performing all the cluster tests in the Logo program on these software targets is equivalent to running them on the hardware.

Below is the full text of the Cluster section in the CFW program.

Implementing the Tests

Make sure the test environment meets these requirements. Before testing the Failover Clustering requirements, the following are needed:

·          A two-node cluster to test applications for Windows Server 2008. The hardware must be compatible with Windows Server 2008 Failover Clustering and successfully pass all tests in the Cluster Validation test tool included in the product.  Due to the cost of Failover Cluster hardware, it is acceptable to leverage a software based iSCSI Software target in conjunction with the Microsoft iSCSI Software initiator to simulate clusters with low cost commodity hardware for the purpose of testing application behavior.  The purpose of these tests is to ensure application compatibility, not hardware which is covered by a separate program.

·          Example of a simple test cluster to verify application compatibility:

§          One server running Windows Unified Data Storage Server with the Microsoft iSCSI Software target to serve as an external storage device. (Or any other 3rd party iSCSI target software)

§          Two servers running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition or Datacenter Edition which will serve as nodes in the cluster.

§          Connectivity to the storage device is done with the Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator (which is included in-box in Windows Server 2008) over a simple Ethernet network.

Dileep, Microsoft

Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:02 AM
  • So what available version(s) of Microsoft Virtual Server has been tested to work with this iSCSI simulator working with Window Server 2008 Enterprise RC0 running in 64 bit mode?

Friday, October 19, 2007 8:31 AM
  • Hi guys,

I have 2 physical servers with Windows Server 2008 O/S and I'm remoting to both of these servers to perform my test cases.
    For Req 3.7,
    do 2 servers with Win 2k8 sufficient enough to set up a cluster to run the 3 test cases?

I'm thinking of using StarWind to create the shared disks.
    Can somebody tell me how should I set up the environment?
    Can I have 1 server with the StarWind disks, and at the same time acting as a node of the cluster, and the other server as node no. 2?

Thanks!

Gary

Thursday, January 3, 2008 8:23 AM
  • Hello Gary,

As per this requirement, you need to have 2 servers as nodes and another server running Windows Unified Data Storage Server with the Microsoft iSCSI Software target to serve as an external storage device. However, you can mould the environment/setup a little, depending on the availability, making sure that you do not deviate from the essence of the requirement. 

However the ATA will follow the test cases as defined in the test framework and based on your instruction/documentation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Hi,

My current .MSI restores my ASP.Net's application database onto the same server as my application. So, the question is, if I were to run the clustering test, I should have my database restored on the shared disk server instead on EACH of the Windows 2008 Servers, right?
    Can I have 2 SEPARATE .MSI installers, one to satisfy the rest of the test cases, and one for Req 3.7, where I isolate the database restoration as a pre-requisite before installing my application?

Please advise..

Thanks!

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Hi Gary

This is Venkat, from the Logo team.

A clarifying quesiton:

Is your product designed to be Cluster aware? or is it just compatible to run on a cluster node?

If it is only designed to install and run on Cluster node without providing cluster capabilities then many of the tests under 3.7 don't apply. This has been called out in the test framework document.

If your product is published as Cluster aware, then the question is how do you support your customers so they can achieve high availability?

Do they have to install two different MSIs?

Thanks,

[Venkat]

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:58 AM