Older Win Mobile 5 device development RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an older windows mobile - an hp ipaq rw6815 - and would like to whip up some apps for it, both fun and more serious database driven. The device comes with Win Mobile 5 in rom and both are a bit old nowadays.

What versions of the managed tools should I use to program the apps? - For instance, if I use C# 3.5, and SQL Server compact 3.5 via Visual Studio 2008 it is my understanding the relevant .net framework will have to be downloaded to the phone - will this be too much for an older device like mine and cause it to go really slow?

Or - should I use older versions of both the language and the database so that I don't need to download anything to the phone except the app/database itself, using the version of the .net framework that is in the rom on the device. If this is the answer can I still get hold of the older versions via my msdn subscription? Would targeting the .net 2 framework be a useful compromise for instance, and can I still use sql compact 3.5 against .net 2?

Or, is the answer to use managed C++ in a sort of petzold style app. I am sure this would run miles faster but I am hoping this is not the answer - I like all the things the managed tools do for me :-)

Thanks to everybody for putting me right on this one. Any thoughts or experiences will be much appreciated and save me loads of time
    cheers,
    Gary
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Gary,

Even with Windows Mobile 5.0, by default you get CF 1.1. Again you need to install CF 2.0 and SQL CE Mobile edition on your devices.

So better proceed with advanced versions which makes easy to develop the application. Coming to the deployment, you can include all your dependencies in your CAB file so that it detects and install the prerequisites.

Coming to space, try to install the application on storage card, so that you will not have any space problems.

Please let me know if you have any queries regarding this.

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:03 AM
  • For what it's worth:
    Visual Studio Version Supported Windows Mobile Versions
    Visual Studio .NET 2003 Supports .NET Compact Framework 1.0 for Pocket PC 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003
    Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition or better .NET 1.0 and .NET 2.0 from Windows Mobile 2003 to Windows Mobile 6
    Visual Studio 2008 Professional or better .NET 2.0 and 3.5 from Windows Mobile 5 to Windows Mobile 6.x
    Visual Studio Express 2008 Does not support any version of Compact Framework or Windows Mobile

Joel Ivory Johnson
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Gary,

Even with Windows Mobile 5.0, by default you get CF 1.1. Again you need to install CF 2.0 and SQL CE Mobile edition on your devices.

So better proceed with advanced versions which makes easy to develop the application. Coming to the deployment, you can include all your dependencies in your CAB file so that it detects and install the prerequisites.

Coming to space, try to install the application on storage card, so that you will not have any space problems.

Please let me know if you have any queries regarding this.

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:03 AM
  • For what it's worth:
    Visual Studio Version Supported Windows Mobile Versions
    Visual Studio .NET 2003 Supports .NET Compact Framework 1.0 for Pocket PC 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003
    Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition or better .NET 1.0 and .NET 2.0 from Windows Mobile 2003 to Windows Mobile 6
    Visual Studio 2008 Professional or better .NET 2.0 and 3.5 from Windows Mobile 5 to Windows Mobile 6.x
    Visual Studio Express 2008 Does not support any version of Compact Framework or Windows Mobile

Joel Ivory Johnson
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Hiya Malleswar - many thanks for the help. I will give it a go with the latest stuff and just see how the device copes. Brilliant. Thanks for the offer of additional queries too - I might have some :-)
    cheers,
    Gary
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:26 AM
  • Hiya Joel, thanks for the chart. I will try it out with the latest tools and see what happens but I might indeed fall back to the older stuff. Thanks for the help,
    cheers,
    Gary
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:27 AM