How does one troubleshoot a "Catastrophic failure"?

Question

• About 10 minutes ago, my app kept crashing on me locally whenever I pulled down and changed a particular combobox.

The error was "Catastrophic failure" and there was no stack trace.

It happened about 7 times total when I tried to troubleshoot it, then eventually it just stopped happening without me changing a line of code.

Searching the forums, I did see that an expiring developer license might cause that (if I understood right, and I just skimmed), so I did (after it fixed itself) go ahead and renew my developer license.  I don't know for sure when the old one was expiring, but it's probably been more than 2-3 months, and I see the new one is good for 3 months.

What is a catastrophic failure in terms of a Windows Store app?  I'm actually kind of upset that I can't trace down the error because it's no longer occurring.

-Rob

-Rob

Thursday, August 07, 2014 10:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

I am sorry to hear about “Catastrophic failure” error in windows store app, fortunately it solves itself.

>It happened about 7 times total when I tried to troubleshoot it, then eventually it just stopped happening without me changing a line of code.

Based on my knowledge, sometimes we may encounter some minor faults during designer time or runtime. It can be solved by clean and rebuild project. And I have heard about solving this kind of problems by reboot the machine.

So don’t worry about it, reboot your computer and leave away to have a cup of coffee. Problem goes away when you return.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Rob Wilkens Friday, August 08, 2014 11:05 AM
    Friday, August 08, 2014 9:51 AM