none
VBA IDE compile or debug lockup issue - never seen it before in the last 15 years RRS feed

• Question

• So ran across a new issue.  

When I go into VBA IDE, I can't add spaces.  I can type other letters, but no spaces.   Eventually I will get a compile or syntax error (line goes red).  After that, I can go ahead and go back and add spaces where they are supposed to be. 

I've seen this on multiple computers and it is always in a workbook that is on OneDrive.  My guess is that it is a new bug that has to do with the OneDrive AutoSave feature where it is constantly saving changes to OneDrive.  This process isn't playing nice with the VBA editor for whatever reason. 

IT IS EXTREMELY ANNOYING and is killing productivity. 

I've been doing VBA for over 15 years and like I said, never seen it until it started happening about 2 or 3 months ago.  I am running the latest Office365 version. 

Anyone else ever see this before?  Any ideas on what to try to get it to stop besides moving the workbooks out of OneDrive.

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 11:29 PM

All replies

• I have one idea to try.  If you use Windows Defender add an Exclusion for the file
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:53 PM
  • I made a change and will see what it does.  I don't think it will work, but perhaps. 

I really think it is related to the active syncing that goes on with OneDrive based files.  My guess is this process causes issue with the VBA IDE and its debuging or syntax checker.  Just my gut based on what I have seen.

I never have the problem with files not in One Drive.   But then again, turning off AutoSave, doesn't seem to help either so who knows. 

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 3:45 PM
  • I've had problems with Windows Defender when saving large VBA files.  Problem is intermittent. Word gives me a  bigger problem but my Word VBA is huge.  I  exclude the VBA development directory and no more problems. I manually check when I release.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 10:01 PM