none
How to automatically run an application in an image of windows embedded standard 7 without desktop RRS feed

• Question

•  I want to make an image which has one application to run on it ,but I want it to run automatically when the windows starts and I want this image to be without user interface to access any other thing on the developed device. When I mark the windows explorer shell package, there is a desktop and the application can run automatically when I put its shortcut in start up folder. When I mark the "Command Prompt Shell with Custom Shell Support" package, there was no desktop (as I want), but the shortcuts in start up folder don't run automatically. I want my application to run automatically when the windows starts without a desktop or a command line.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:31 PM

All replies

• In the Command Prompt Shell with Custom Shell Support there is a setting to point to the path of your application rather than launching the Command Prompt. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff794318(v=winembedded.1001).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff794657(v=winembedded.1001).aspx

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:59 PM
  • If you are using ICE:

1. Add 'Command Prompt Shell with Custom Shell Support' to your anwser file and click on it to select it.
    2. In the right pane click on the settings tab and change the filter to '2 Offline Servicing'
    3. You should see four values. CustomShell is set to 'cmd.exe' by default. Change this to your applications path and name. This is its path as it will be on the deployed system. Example: c:\program files\MyApp\app.exe

If you are using the IBW to create your system you can edit the registry directly. This is also useful if you will want to turn on the normal explorer desktop shell at a later date or for maintenance:

1. Run the IBW as normal, however, use Windows Explorer Shell instead of the Command Prompt.
    2. Once the system is running use regedt32 to change the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon from 'explorer.exe' to '<app_path>\<appname>'.

Nice thing about doing the registry method is that, at anytime, you can change it back to explorer.exe. You can even setup two REG scripts and bury them in the system. One to set to your app and the other to change it back to explorer.exe.

Disadvantage of doing the reg method is that having the explorer shell loaded means a larger foot print and added dependencies.

• Edited by VanAwful Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:08 PM corrected spelling
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:07 PM