System.Security.AccessControl Namespace RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I need several classes from the System.Security.AccessControl Namespace (FileSecurity, FileInfo.GetAccessControl method...) and that namespace seems to be new in .Net Framework version 2.0.  i have installed that version but my visual studio is using the old version of mscorlib.dll i.e. file version 1.1.4322.2032 and when i try to reference the new version of the file mscorlib.dll (which is part of .NET framework version 2.0) i.e. file version 2.0.50727.42 a get the message that the reference to that file could not be added with the explanation that the file is not a valid assembly or a COM component!!

Please help! it is quite  urgent...

Goran.

Monday, September 25, 2006 7:31 AM

Answers

• Yes I expect .NET 1.1 does not recognize an assembly compiled in .NET 2.0.

For example the .NET 2.0 assembly could make calls to functions in mscorlib.dll that don't exist in the .NET 1.1 version of mscorlib.dll.

So easiest fix is get a copy of VS.NET 2005 and port your app to .NET 2.0.   If you need to stay in .NET 1.1 then I don't have any easy answers for you.  In theory if .NET 2.0 is installed on your machine there is a copy of the .NET 2.0 compiler in the framework folder that you could compile your code with, but how to do this I am not the person to ask.

Monday, September 25, 2006 5:29 PM

All replies

• Yes I expect .NET 1.1 does not recognize an assembly compiled in .NET 2.0.

For example the .NET 2.0 assembly could make calls to functions in mscorlib.dll that don't exist in the .NET 1.1 version of mscorlib.dll.

So easiest fix is get a copy of VS.NET 2005 and port your app to .NET 2.0.   If you need to stay in .NET 1.1 then I don't have any easy answers for you.  In theory if .NET 2.0 is installed on your machine there is a copy of the .NET 2.0 compiler in the framework folder that you could compile your code with, but how to do this I am not the person to ask.

Monday, September 25, 2006 5:29 PM
  • Thanks for ypur help. I solved the problem by installing VS2005.
    Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:44 AM