Using XML Data Source type and Querying a Web Service form authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does anybody knows how to pass credentials to a data source that use XML as type and call a web services?

All the documentations refers to "Use Windows Authentication (Integrated Security) " but I have Form authentication implemented in my server. I set the credentials to "Do not use Credentials" because my web services does not need credentials.

When I try to render my report I got this error

The current action cannot be completed. The user data source credentials do not meet the requirements to run this report or shared dataset. Either the user data source credentials are not stored in the report server database, or the user data source is configured not to require credentials but the unattended execution account is not specified. (rsInvalidDataSourceCredentialSetting),

Any help with this!!!??

Thanks in advance

Peter

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:22 PM

Answers

• After a lot of research I finally found a way to avoid the problem, Microsoft says that if you disable Windows authentication you can't use XML to retrieve data, but look that there is a way, and here it is (Remember I am using forms Authentication and not Windows Authentication any more in here).

In the credential Panel check "<label for="ui_rdoStored">Credentials stored securely in the report server</label>" in the format Domain\User and password.

then check "<label for="ui_chkStoreWindows">Use as Windows credentials when connecting to the data source</label>".

Create an account in the server (Domain) without right just "User"

That is!!!! now you will have your Forms Authentication and access to XML web services.

Hope this could help somebody, if anybody has a better approach, please  share it.

• Marked as answer by peterposnag Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Peter,

From your description, I am afraid that you confused two different authentications in the reporting service. One kind of authentication is to check whether the account has the permission to access the reporting service; the other authentication is to check whether the reporting service has the permission to access the database to fetch the data.

In the scenario, you use the Form authentication for the first kind. I doubted that the second authentication, authentication of dataset is set as "Do not use Credentials", however. To avoid this problem, I suggest that you can use "Credentials stored securely in the report server" and store an account, which has enough permission to access the database to solve this kind of issue.

I hope my suggestion is helpful to you.

Regards,

Edward

Edward Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 28, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Hello Edward,

Thanks for your answer.

I will try to be more detailed in this time, then you can have a clear idea of what is happening.

I have a Web Services and I want to use it as a data sources in my Reporting Services, then to create the Data Sources I clicked "New data Source", as a type XML and the connection string "http://localhost/UtilWebServices.asmx",

I did set "Do not use Credential" in the Credentials tag, because is a web services that does not require (for now) authentication.

All the documentation online refers to use "Use Windows Authentication (Integrated Security)" but I am using form Authentication, and so far until  I know those credentials will be used to access the data Sources not the Reporting Services it self (ex: for accessing a data base the credentials should be user name and pass to access the database no Reporting services)

Does not matter what kind of Credentials I use I always will get the same error "

• The current action cannot be completed. The user data source credentials do not meet the requirements to run this report or shared dataset. Either the user data source credentials are not stored in the report server database, or the user data source is configured not to require credentials but the unattended execution account is not specified. (rsInvalidDataSourceCredentialSetting)"

I have not seem any example of using XML web services online using form authentication.

Now it worth to say that this happen just when I create the report in the reporting services itself because in the designer (BI) everything works fine I guess because the Report Designer does not know anything about how the Reporting services is configured until it needs to deploy something, and the designer still using Windows Authenticacion or not authentication at all to preview the report.

I hope this time you get a better look of what is happening.

Once again thanks,

I will keep myself busy looking for a solution, if any i will post it.

Monday, May 28, 2012 1:45 PM
  • After a lot of research I finally found a way to avoid the problem, Microsoft says that if you disable Windows authentication you can't use XML to retrieve data, but look that there is a way, and here it is (Remember I am using forms Authentication and not Windows Authentication any more in here).

In the credential Panel check "<label for="ui_rdoStored">Credentials stored securely in the report server</label>" in the format Domain\User and password.

then check "<label for="ui_chkStoreWindows">Use as Windows credentials when connecting to the data source</label>".

Create an account in the server (Domain) without right just "User"

That is!!!! now you will have your Forms Authentication and access to XML web services.

Hope this could help somebody, if anybody has a better approach, please  share it.

• Marked as answer by peterposnag Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:13 PM