Silverlight Architecture for Offline Capability..... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are building a large scale Silverlight based LOB application which requires offline capability especially when the network goes down. We are planning to leverage Microsoft Sync Framework to enable offline capability. From architectural standpoint, we are considering the following options:

1. Use Silverlight to develop the Entire application

2. Use ASP.NET for primary development and use Silverlight where needed

3. Use Silverlight for primary development and use ASP.NET controls where needed

My understanding is that if we want to truly enable offline capability, we should leverage Out of Browser (OOB) style of deployment where the the XAP files are downloaded and cached. This enables the application to function even if the web server that hosts the Silverlight application or network is down.  If this is the case, does it make sense to even consider option 2 from the above list? If the application is developed primarily using ASP.NET, the application always requires network connectivity. I think Option 1 and 2 are appropriate if we want to truly enable offline access using isolated storage. I understand that Option 3 will not work for the function that use ASP.NET controls if the network is down. I just want to make sure this is a valid assumption. Please advice.

Thanks

Rasheed

Monday, September 6, 2010 12:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Sairashid,

Generally speaking, I agree with you.   If you want offline capability, you'd better use Silverlight + OOB.  As you know,  network connectivity is required when you use asp.net.  Besides, you can have a C/S application to handle offline scenario if it is used by specific users(for example, users inside a company).

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:27 AM