Problem installing Small Basic on the same computer for multiple users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a high school teacher who wants to use SmallBasic as the programming language in my introductory course, starting in September. I have several sections of this course.

I went to my school to try things out, and everything worked well (SmallBasic installed and ran)  when I logged on to a computer with a particular user id (tstudent) for the first time.  A problem arose when I then logged off tstudent and subsequently logged on the same computer as a different user.  I clicked on the Small Basic shortcut, and the installation process began but encountered an error:  it could not write to  the folder  "...tstudent\SmallBasic\Samples" (i.e., the folder created for the first user, tstudent), and the installation was not successful.

I have spoken with the school's network administrator and he is trying to figure out how to get around this problem.  HELP!!

Evelyn Rothman

Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:49 PM

Answers

• SmallBasic.msi version 0.9 does not ask if it wants to be installed for all users or a specific user during install, it simply defaults to the current users.

The trick is to tell the installer to advertise smallbasic to all usrs.  That's to install it using msiexec /jm [path]smallbasic.msi

(This has been tested on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 but the /jm switch goes back to MSI version 1 in Windows 2000)

• Marked as answer by litdev Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:08 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Evelyn,

What Operating system do you use?
    During installation, on Select Installation Folder dialog, do you choose Everyone or Just me?
    And what kind of permission / which user group do the students have on the machine?

I just tested on Vista SP1 with 2 different user who are administrator on the machine, and I choose for Small Basic to be used for Everyone, and I did not get the same installation failure. Can you be more specific on your scenario, so I can investigate?
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:28 PM
  • When you install Small Basic, you get an option - where you can choose whether you want to install the program for "Everyone" or "Just you".  Can you try and choose "Just You" for that?  Then you can install Small Basic for the other student once again.
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

The operating system is Windows XP.

I forwarded the responses to the school's network administrator; as a teacher, I do not have the authority to install software myself.  I will get back in touch when I know more.

Thanks for your help.

Evelyn Rothman
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 4:58 PM
  • SmallBasic.msi version 0.9 does not ask if it wants to be installed for all users or a specific user during install, it simply defaults to the current users.

The trick is to tell the installer to advertise smallbasic to all usrs.  That's to install it using msiexec /jm [path]smallbasic.msi

(This has been tested on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 but the /jm switch goes back to MSI version 1 in Windows 2000)

• Marked as answer by litdev Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:08 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Okay, I actually don't understand that last post and I really need to.  What exactly needs to be done to get Small Basic 0.9 to install for all users of a machine?
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:41 PM
  • I think Douglas is suggesting the following:

1] Open a command window (old style DOS window), Start|All Programs|Accessories|Command Prompt

2] Then run the installer using the command msiexec , for example type the following modified for your path:

msiexec /jm C:\Users\NAME \Downloads\SmallBasic.msi

where NAME is your username and SmallBasic.msi is the downloaded SmallBasic.  Of course your path may be different.

You can check what the msiexec is doing by reading its help using the command msiexec /? , showing the info for the /jm switch:

/j <u|m> <Product.msi> [/t <Transform List>] [/g <Language ID>]
            Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user

I haven't tested it works (no reason to think it doesn't) so good luck.

PS: If it works, please mark Douglas' reply as the answer.

Also, before you try a re-install, first uninstall using Control Panel|Programs and Features and also delete the installation directory, probably:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic or C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Small Basic

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:08 PM
  • This method DID advertise SmallBasic to my students and they WERE able to install the program. However my school uses a program called DeepFreeze which restores/resets the computers everytime they are shut down and restarted. Does this mean that my students will have to re-install SmallBasic everytime they log back in? Or, is there a way to not just ADVERTISE the program but actually INSTALL it for all users? Thank you.
    Friday, August 31, 2012 10:27 PM
  • DeepFreeze makes partitions (volume letters) get back to their original content after a reboot.

If your school made a sensible deployment, installing Windows in 1 partition and having the user contents in another; they could have setup in a way that only the Windows system partition is protected, and on the other hand, the user data partition free from DeepFreeze's interference.

But alas, most schools are paranoid and dunno how things work and end up "protecting" everything unnecessarily, locking up users from using the OS adequately!

In the latter case, the most likely option left is to install Small Basic (and any other software you wish) in a memory stick (or even in an optical media)!

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Friday, August 31, 2012 11:44 PM
    Answerer