none
Is Small Basic the FIRST SOCIAL PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE + IDE? RRS feed

• General discussion

• First, go here for the list of 13 ways that Small Basic is social:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/archive/2014/05/04/is-small-basic-the-first-social-programming-language-ide.aspx

Now, here are the questions... 
    1. Is Small Basic the first social programming language + IDE?
      • Specifically I'm looking at #1 and #3 (from the blog post).
      • I believe Scratch 1.0 worked around this limitation by encouraging its community to upload projects to the forum for others to download (site "Project" areas that were associated with profiles). This started in 2007 and was called "Project Sharing" and the "Gallery". This seems to have been updated/fixed in 2012 with Scratch 2.0, where they added similar capabilities to Small Basic (which were available in 2008). So if that is true, then Small Basic had the "social sharing" features four years ahead of Scratch (because essentially the Project Sharing feature is the equivalent of Microsoft's CodePlex site, which was released in 2006).
      • Is this assumption of Scratch true?
      • Are there any other languages + IDEs that might have had these share to/from Web features that Small Basic launched with in 2008?
    2. Has any other language + IDE achieved #2 or #3 (from the blog post)?
    3. What social interaction features exist on other languages (+ IDEs) that aren't available for Small Basic?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, May 5, 2014 2:56 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Ed,

If you look into "Just Basic" sites I think you will find a lot of similarities to "Small Basic" sites.  They're various communities have been active since about 2002. There you can share programs, read tutorials, and so on.  "Just Basic" is free to download and provides a lot of capability that is not provided in "Small Basic". Don't know for sure but I have wondered if a lot of what has been setup for "Small Basic" was mirrored from what was available on the "Just Basic" sites. To me it seems like they were there first in what has been created.

JR

Monday, May 5, 2014 1:54 PM
    Answerer
  • When you install VS it now gives the chance to set up a personal online account so you can manage your uploads and invite collaborators. Great idea I reckon.

I reckon the Publish/Import feature of SB really drives learning.

Monday, May 5, 2014 9:11 PM
  • Ed,

If you look into "Just Basic" sites I think you will find a lot of similarities to "Small Basic" sites.  They're various communities have been active since about 2002. There you can share programs, read tutorials, and so on.  "Just Basic" is free to download and provides a lot of capability that is not provided in "Small Basic". Don't know for sure but I have wondered if a lot of what has been setup for "Small Basic" was mirrored from what was available on the "Just Basic" sites. To me it seems like they were there first in what has been created.

JR

That sounds like a challenge!!! I'll take your challenge!

But note that what you're describing is a step back from what Small Basic provided back in 2008. What you're describing is like CodePlex... a website to go to outside your UI where you share and publish your files. What Small Basic provides is inside the UI. CodePlex didn't start until 2006, but smaller more isolated sites have existed for sharing information and files since at least 2002, as you mentioned.

There's a big difference between a website where you can share files and a product where you can share programs.

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:46 AM
    Owner
  • When you install VS it now gives the chance to set up a personal online account so you can manage your uploads and invite collaborators. Great idea I reckon.

I reckon the Publish/Import feature of SB really drives learning.

Yes, this is a great feature! For collaboration, do they allow multiple people to work on a file at the same time? Because that's a doosey! =^)

OneNote, Excel Online, and Word Online have pulled it off, so it's possible.

What if there was a button in the UI to post your game's Web page URL as a new topic in the Forum? And you had the choice of making it a question (with a prompt to explain your problem and ask a question) or making it a discussion (like if you had a sweet game you wanted people to play and give you feedback on). That would result in a lot more forum traffic, right? Do you think it would become overwhelming?

Anything else in VS Online that's social?

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:53 AM
    Owner
  • I'm shooting from the hips here (just brainstorming), what if there was a link in the UI somehow (in some clever, not annoying way) that went to the blog, Small Basic portal on TNWiki, and the forum? That would connect people a bit better. We were doing that in some of our products earlier.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:44 AM
    Owner
  • Ed,

JR

Okay, I took the challenge.

Just BASIC looks more on par as a scaled-back Visual Basic:

http://justbasic.com/learnmore.html

Not really aimed at the 8-20 year old student market, like Small Basic is.

Their social interaction is limited to a BB style forum:

http://justbasic.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=tutorial

...Which is our #5 (this forum). So I'd argue they have 1 out of 13 of Small Basic's social endeavors. For the list of all 13, see Is Small Basic the FIRST SOCIAL PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE + IDE?

#1-4 on that list are all UI based. And I don't see anything like #10-13 in the forums (our Community Programs).

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:59 AM
    Owner
  • I'm shooting from the hips here (just brainstorming), what if there was a link in the UI somehow (in some clever, not annoying way) that went to the blog, Small Basic portal on TNWiki, and the forum? That would connect people a bit better. We were doing that in some of our products earlier.

I did that in SB IDE++ (but I doubt if anyone actually uses it haha.) I will add a blog link if you think it's a good idea. 

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Sunday, May 11, 2014 11:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Hey gungan

Imagine if you could run a browser in your ide. A separate tab.

Click on the blog link and it would be like having the latest product goss on the product in the product.

Monday, May 12, 2014 5:07 AM