Axum and Game Development RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all,

I have a few questions about how Axum might be used in game development.  I should say that I only have a little bit of experience in game programming (using C# and XNA) so maybe my questions are obvious to more experienced game programmers.  I've not seen any discussion of using Axum for games yet, but the Programmers Guide does mention game simulations in the introduction.

Firstly how do you see Axum being used in game development?  Could you build an entire game in Axum? Would you want to?  Are there any examples of this?

From my limited understanding it looks like Axum could lend itself to AI programming very nicely, but what about things like 3D graphics and even the main game loop/logic? 

Finally do you think there will ever be any official XNA integration?

Thanks

Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi JaxeLD,

I'm unaware of any real-world examples of Axum used in game development, but there is a non-axum yet concurrent example: EVE Online.  They use Stackless Python; I'm not one to comment on the similarities, but the usage scenario can be translated.

It is used in this game to offer fast response over a network so clients aren't waiting for a long time to get server responses.  Every time something is sent from client to server, the server uses what is effectively an agent to process the request.  When the agent blocks because of network latency, another agent gets a chance to process.  This is how they can have 1 server with 30k+ concurrent users - they make the most of the time saved by not actually blocking the entire thread, only the agent, when a blocking action occurs.

Not sure how this would be achieved in Axum, and what other benefits it would give you, but networking or layering on top of high latency systems is one use in games.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:04 PM