ASP.NET application error RRS feed

• Question

• I added the IIS 7.0 component to my image. Everything installs fine and I can access the default IIS page. However, I can't run any ASP.NET pages. I get the following error: "Cannot execute a program. The command being executed was "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\csc.exe" /noconfig /fullpaths @"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\liivserver\7d9ca4b0\20aa2572\3gjhgmpe.cmdline".

The exact same ASP.NET application runs fine on a normal Win7 installation. Searching on google seems to point to rights issue with the ASP.NET IUSR account not having execute permissions on the framework directory. Not quite sure what I need to do to be able to get the application to run on my WES7 image. Any help is highly appreciated.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:15 PM

Answers

• I found the issue. It was not related to permissions after all. CSC.exe has a dependent assembly of Microsoft.VC90.CRT. I found that error in the windows event viewer. So I installed the VC++ 2008 runtime and my app runs now. I don't know, I kind of think that should have been caught by the validation step in ICE. Maybe the MS guys should look into that as this will throw a lot of people for a loop (myself included :)).
    • Marked as answer by xAragornx Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:43 PM

All replies

• Can you confirm that the csc.exe executable exists?

My first guess would be that you're missing the .NET Framework 3.5 feature pack. IIS 7.0 only requires 2.0 as a dependency, so maybe you missed it when configuring the image.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:38 PM
  • It is there. I have checked. I also doubled checked all the permissions for the folder and files in the framework and it is the same as in my basic Win7 install from disc.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Update:

I added user "IIS_IUSR" to %win_dir%\Temp directory with "List folder / read data" permissions and made sure I apply permissions to child objects and now I get a bit further and have a new error:

"The current identity (IIS APPPOOL\DefaultAppPool) does not have write access to 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'."

The temp directory permission was missing in the embedded image but was present in my Win7 install from disc.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Update:

Now, I'm back to the same error. This is definitely a permissions issue but I just can't find what's missing. Argh....

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:58 PM
  • I found the issue. It was not related to permissions after all. CSC.exe has a dependent assembly of Microsoft.VC90.CRT. I found that error in the windows event viewer. So I installed the VC++ 2008 runtime and my app runs now. I don't know, I kind of think that should have been caught by the validation step in ICE. Maybe the MS guys should look into that as this will throw a lot of people for a loop (myself included :)).
    • Marked as answer by xAragornx Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:43 PM