Developer license for developing Windows store applicatin and mandatory profile

Question

• Hello,

I want to install Windows 8 and Visual studio 2012 to several PC's in a classroom (I'm a teacher). All computers are in domain and we use SCCM to deploy software.

I've installed the package on test computer. I've logged on the computer as domain user with local profile. I've started Visual studio 2012, I've started a Windows store application, got the developer license and it all worked well. I've logged off and logon as user with mandatory profile. I've started Visual studio and opened Windows store application, but the designer did not work. If I've loged on again with different username (without mandatory profile and not as user which got the developer license) all worked nice (the desgner worked).

My questions:

1. How can I make the designer (for Windows store application)  work for user with mandatory profile?

2. How can i get the developer license for all computers in my clasroom?

Thanks, Barbara

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:14 PM

All replies

• I think you should talk with Microsoft near you. Because for student there are specific programs for that with "free" license.

See this:

https://www.dreamspark.com/

And i think each student should be get its developer license.

Sara Silva
    My Windows 8 Store Apps Samples
    Follow me in Twitter @saramgsilva

My Windows 8 Store Apps: Female Pill | Galinho (Tic tac Toe) | 24
    (If my reply answers your question, please propose it as an answer because it will help other users)

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Thanks, I'll try with our local Microsoft office.
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:15 PM
  • The OS and developer tool licenses available from DreamSpark are different from the developer licenses that Barbara is asking about. What Barbara needs is the free developer license described here that is required to run the developer tools and to test apps on a given machine.

To get that will need to log into each machine as an administrator to get the account. Unfortunately there isn't a way to automate this for the lab scenario.

I'm not sure about the mandatory profile scenario. Can you please provide more details about the specific error you are getting?

Thanks,
       Rob

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:02 PM
    Owner
  • Rob is right i was not completed clear.

Sara Silva
    My Windows 8 Store Apps Samples
    Follow me in Twitter @saramgsilva

My Windows 8 Store Apps: Female Pill | Galinho (Tic tac Toe) | 24
    (If my reply answers your question, please propose it as an answer because it will help other users)

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Thanks Rob, that is exactly what I need.

Installing developer license on each machine is not a problem. My students can get their own license. But will they need to get new licenses for every lesson? Can we use mandatory profiles? Here is description of my problem:

I've tried to get the developer license when I was logged on as domain user named "prog"(not local administrator or domain administrator, not roaming or mandatory profile). It worked. Visual studio opened the designer for Windows store application.

I've logged off. I've created mandatory profile  for Windows 8 user "prog" (I've copeid local profile to server, renamed the files
    and assigned path for user profile of user "prog" in AD). I've logged on as domain user "prog" with mandatory profile and the designer in Visual studio
    (only for Windows store application) is not working any more. I get  error

System.Exception
    Veljavnosti posodobitev, odvisnosti ali sporov paketa ni bilo mogoče preveriti. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF3)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, FrameworkName targetFramework, String identifier, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<StartTask>b__6()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

After changing madatory to roaming profile for the user "prog" the designer  worked OK.

We are using mandatory profiles in our domain because there are many students working on te same machine in my classroom and we want them to have the same environment.  Also maintenance is easiser.

Thanks,
    Barbara

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:43 AM