How safe is "using" RRS feed

• Question

• I've read the documention on using, but it is not 100% clear to me.

Consider the following:

HttpWebRequest webRequest = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(fileLocation);
    using
    (WebResponse webResponse = webRequest.GetResponse())
    {
       if (throwException)
       {
          throw new Exception();
       }
    }

Will webResponse.Close() be automatically called on exit from the using scope?
    If throwException is true, then will webResponse.Close() still be called, or do I need a try...finally exception handler?
    I'm using WebResponse as an example here; do other .Net classes generally follow the same pattern?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:07 AM

Answers

• Yes in this situation WebResponse.Close() will always be called. The using statement is equivalent to the following code:

WebResponse webResponse = webRequest.GetResponse();

try
    {
       if (throwException)
       {
          throw new Exception();
       }
    }
    finally
    {
       ((IDisposable)webResponse).Dispose();
    }

In this situation (and for other classes such as SqlConnection, Stream, etc) Dispose is just a synonym for Close(). So you do not need to place a try...finally block around the using statement.

All disposable objects (ie those that implement IDisposable) work in exactly the same way.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:47 AM

All replies

• Yes in this situation WebResponse.Close() will always be called. The using statement is equivalent to the following code:

WebResponse webResponse = webRequest.GetResponse();

try
    {
       if (throwException)
       {
          throw new Exception();
       }
    }
    finally
    {
       ((IDisposable)webResponse).Dispose();
    }

In this situation (and for other classes such as SqlConnection, Stream, etc) Dispose is just a synonym for Close(). So you do not need to place a try...finally block around the using statement.

All disposable objects (ie those that implement IDisposable) work in exactly the same way.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:47 AM
  • Thanks for the confirmation. That makes "using" really useful!
    Wednesday, November 16, 2005 1:35 PM